My TC Journey 2022 -> Onwards

Ooshmate

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 12, 2020
    Hi everyone,

As an introduction, I graduated from studying law at the University of Kent and am currently undertaking my LPC @ BPP University. As far as areas of interest, I have a preference for corporate-natured work. However, I understand that it is best to remain open-minded and not be too definite in my perceptions of my career.

I was late to the application scene. In my second year of university, I attended one open day and did not apply for any VS. However, in my third year, I was happy to participate in eight open days and go on to apply for several VS. Sadly, it didn't pan out. Nevertheless, this year will represent my second year of applying for VS and perhaps DTC, and I have faith I may go one step further than last year.

This year, I have selected my firms primarily on three criteria:
    a. Friendly Culture
    b. Smaller Trainee intake (10-30)
    c. On the Job Training Model with some elements of workshop development

I hope to submit approximately 10 VS applications in the coming month, and I hope to progress to at least 2 VS and hopefully to a TC for one of these firms!

Regarding my weekly goals, hopefully, by next week (26/10/22), I will have achieved the following:
    a. Submission of two VS applications
    b. Finalise my CV
    c. Draft eight 90-second-long video interview question answers

Looking forward to checking in next week!

;)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone,

As an introduction, I graduated from studying law at the University of Kent and am currently undertaking my LPC @ BPP University. As far as areas of interest, I have a preference for corporate-natured work. However, I understand that it is best to remain open-minded and not be too definite in my perceptions of my career.

I was late to the application scene. In my second year of university, I attended one open day and did not apply for any VS. However, in my third year, I was happy to participate in eight open days and go on to apply for several VS. Sadly, it didn't pan out. Nevertheless, this year will represent my second year of applying for VS and perhaps DTC, and I have faith I may go one step further than last year.

a. Friendly Culture

I hope to submit approximately 10 VS applications in the coming month, and I hope to progress to at least 2 VS and hopefully to a TC for one of these firms!

Regarding my weekly goals, hopefully, by next week (26/10/22), I will have achieved the following:
    b. Finalise my CV

;)
    Hi @Ooshmate! It seems like you know exactly what you want and have a good path charted for how to get there- this is not easy so very well done! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

a. Friendly Culture

b. Finalise my CV

;)
    Hi @Ooshmate,

When I was applying, I was also late to the application process so I know that it can sometimes feel like there is a lot of 'catching up' to do. I imagine you can see how much you have improved compared to last year and the year before, which is a huge part of this process.

It's great to see how specific your strategy is. Let me know how you get on with those vacation scheme applications.

Reactions: Ooshmate

Ooshmate

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 12, 2020
    Hi everyone,

a. Friendly Culture

b. Finalise my CV

;)
    Hi everyone!

In the past week I:
    a. Finalised my CV
    b. Drafted 4 VI questions at 90-second speaking time
    c. Submitted the Skadden VS application
    d. Got 50% of the way through my White & Case application

While I only managed to hit some of my targets, I have spent a considerable amount of time this week revising for my LPC mocks beginning next week. Therefore, I shall adapt my weekly goals accordingly to adjust for next week's assessments. Moreover, this past week has allowed me to reflect on the time burden of conducting R&D for my law firm applications. As a result, I evaluated the firms I initially selected and reduced my application size from 10 to 8. This should allow me additional time to spend on the applications to firms I am most suitable for and offer greater leverage towards my development.

By next week (2/11/22), I will have achieved the following:
    a. Finish my first White & Case application draft
    b. Draft four 90-second-long VI question answers
    c. Finish my first Latham & Watkins application draft

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Jaysen and AvniD

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone!

In the past week I:
    a. Finalised my CV
    b. Drafted 4 VI questions at 90-second speaking time
    c. Submitted the Skadden VS application
    d. Got 50% of the way through my White & Case application

While I only managed to hit some of my targets, I have spent a considerable amount of time this week revising for my LPC mocks beginning next week. Therefore, I shall adapt my weekly goals accordingly to adjust for next week's assessments. Moreover, this past week has allowed me to reflect on the time burden of conducting R&D for my law firm applications. As a result, I evaluated the firms I initially selected and reduced my application size from 10 to 8. This should allow me additional time to spend on the applications to firms I am most suitable for and offer greater leverage towards my development.

By next week (2/11/22), I will have achieved the following:
    a. Finish my first White & Case application draft
    b. Draft four 90-second-long VI question answers
    c. Finish my first Latham & Watkins application draft

Clear update @Ooshmate - this is exactly how I write my updates by reflecting on the past week, sharing my lessons and setting new goals for the week. Good luck with W&C and Latham!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.