My TC Journey through Vac Schemes

LegallyRequired

Standard Member
Oct 21, 2022
Just an introduction to myself, I’m currently a penultimate year law student at the University of Bristol applying for vac schemes this application cycle! I aim to apply to 5-6 law firms for vac schemes and most of the firms that I am applying to have non-rolling deadlines. The firms that I am focusing on are Magic Circle law firms, international law firms with a structured & formal training during TC as well as international law firms with sector focus in media&entertainment to explore my interests in media& entertainment!

Current progress:
- Drafting an application for Reed Smith
- Preparing for an AC with A&O
- I’m going to work on a cover letter/personal statement for Freshfields this weekend.
- attending events to gain deeper understanding of each firm

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just an introduction to myself, I’m currently a penultimate year law student at the University of Bristol applying for vac schemes this application cycle! I aim to apply to 5-6 law firms for vac schemes and most of the firms that I am applying to have non-rolling deadlines. The firms that I am focusing on are Magic Circle law firms, international law firms with a structured & formal training during TC as well as international law firms with sector focus in media&entertainment to explore my interests in media& entertainment!

Current progress:
    - Drafting an application for Reed Smith
    - Preparing for an AC with A&O
    - I’m going to work on a cover letter/personal statement for Freshfields this weekend.
    - attending events to gain deeper understanding of each firm
    Great to see that you have a sense of the practice areas you are interested in @LegallyRequired and well done on your AC with Allen & Overy!

I'm curious to know why you are planning to apply to five to six firms, is this because they are the only ones you are interested in?

LegallyRequired

Standard Member
    Oct 21, 2022
    Great to see that you have a sense of the practice areas you are interested in @LegallyRequired and well done on your AC with Allen & Overy!

I'm curious to know why you are planning to apply to five to six firms, is this because they are the only ones you are interested in?
    Thank you!

And yes, I have around 8 firms that I am currently interested in. And I don't think I would be able to submit great quality applications if I apply to more than 5 firms which is why I decided to keep the number small!

Reactions: Jaysen and AvniD

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you!

And yes, I have around 8 firms that I am currently interested in. And I don't think I would be able to submit great quality applications if I apply to more than 5 firms which is why I decided to keep the number small!

That's fair enough! How did you get on with your assessment centre?

LegallyRequired

Standard Member
    Oct 21, 2022
    Just an update on my Vacation Scheme application process:

The last two weeks had been quite hectic as I was busy preparing for the A&O AC, but here is my current progress:

- Completed A&O AC, it was the first AC I've ever done and it was SO difficult (if anyone is doing an AC with A&O, make sure you know how to read a profit/loss statement and know what is minority shareholding), just waiting to hear back now (I don't think it's going to be a good news)
    - Attended an Open Day with Reed Smith, will be adding my experience into my application
    - Re-draft Freshfields cover letter
    - Start Bird & Bird application

Reactions: Jessica Booker

LegallyRequired

Standard Member
    Oct 21, 2022
    Monday update:
    - Completed my first draft of Reed Smith application, will be scheduling review for my application and I am aiming to send this application of before the week of 21 November
    - Just found out I messed up Freshfields application deadline. I did not have time to get started on the cover letter so will be doing that this week

What I will do this week:
    - Wait to hear back from Allen & Overy with feedback on how I can improve
    - Begin the Why commercial law section for Freshfields CV
    - Draft ideas for Bird & Bird application, aiming to complete the first draft for all of the questions by the end of this week
    - Try to do at least 1 Watson Glaser test this week

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Monday update:
    - Completed my first draft of Reed Smith application, will be scheduling review for my application and I am aiming to send this application of before the week of 21 November
    - Just found out I messed up Freshfields application deadline. I did not have time to get started on the cover letter so will be doing that this week

- Draft ideas for Bird & Bird application, aiming to complete the first draft for all of the questions by the end of this week
    Hi @LegallyRequired! These seem like achievable and realistic goals- well done for setting them!

How have you found application writing so far? And how have Watson Glaser tests been going for you?

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Monday update:

Great to see the specificity of these goals. I hope you managed to send off Bird & Bird!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.