My TC Journey

RJ29

Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 28, 2022
    Hi everyone,

My name is RJ.

This year I am trying to improve my performance at AC's because this is an area I fell down on last year, which resulted in rejections at the final stage interview.

I will achieve this by:

1. Using law blogs/websites to tailor my research to my interview firm. Littlelaw and Lawcareers.net provide great general info, but utilising Legal Cheek's "Firms Most List" will really help to tailor my preparation.
    2. Increase confidence by starting to prepare early. In the past I have noticed that my performance is much better when I have given myself enough time to process the upcoming assessment centre. Also, it will expose any gaps in my knowledge during my preparation.
    3. Create a flashcard question bank using the "Midterm" app based on the interview firm e.g., "Which country should the firm open a new office?" to prepare myself for the uncomfortable questions. The ugly reality is that interviewers will try to catch the interviewee out on purpose to see how they react. Furthermore, Jake Schogger's "Application, Interview & Internship" handbook will have more questions for me to incorporate into my question bank. Also, I will hold myself accountable by practicing the questions every other day and achieve spaced repetition.
    4. Complete TCLA's free course on "Securing a Training Contract" paying particular attention to the interviews and AC's section to reinforce current knowledge and inspire new ideas on preparing for AC's.
    If you have any further tips, I would love to hear them!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone,

My name is RJ.

This year I am trying to improve my performance at AC's because this is an area I fell down on last year, which resulted in rejections at the final stage interview.

I will achieve this by:

1. Using law blogs/websites to tailor my research to my interview firm. Littlelaw and Lawcareers.net provide great general info, but utilising Legal Cheek's "Firms Most List" will really help to tailor my preparation.
    2. Increase confidence by starting to prepare early. In the past I have noticed that my performance is much better when I have given myself enough time to process the upcoming assessment centre. Also, it will expose any gaps in my knowledge during my preparation.
    3. Create a flashcard question bank using the "Midterm" app based on the interview firm e.g., "Which country should the firm open a new office?" to prepare myself for the uncomfortable questions. The ugly reality is that interviewers will try to catch the interviewee out on purpose to see how they react. Furthermore, Jake Schogger's "Application, Interview & Internship" handbook will have more questions for me to incorporate into my question bank. Also, I will hold myself accountable by practicing the questions every other day and achieve spaced repetition.
    4. Complete TCLA's free course on "Securing a Training Contract" paying particular attention to the interviews and AC's section to reinforce current knowledge and inspire new ideas on preparing for AC's.
    If you have any further tips, I would love to hear them!
    Hi @RJ29! Really well done on creating this thread- this is a big step in keeping yourself accountable in your journey to securing a TC 👏 👏 👏

I think the steps you've listed to improving your AC performance all make sense. Big fan of the flashcard question bank and recommend using this resource by TCLA to get started- it's likely the most exhaustive list of interview questions out there.

Looking forward to your next update to see how you get on! All the best!

Reactions: RJ29

RJ29

Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 28, 2022
    Hi @RJ29! Really well done on creating this thread- this is a big step in keeping yourself accountable in your journey to securing a TC 👏 👏 👏

I think the steps you've listed to improving your AC performance all make sense. Big fan of the flashcard question bank and recommend using this resource by TCLA to get started- it's likely the most exhaustive list of interview questions out there.

Looking forward to your next update to see how you get on! All the best!
    Hi Avni,

I have great news! I have secured a training contract at a magic circle firm! Creating this post and listing out all the steps I needed to take was really beneficial!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.