my TC/VS journey

Samphire

Dec 5, 2022
hello to you all,

I'm new here, heard about this website and specific thread from another forum member. I thought I'd try and post here when I have time each week.
two key reasons:
1. as Jaysen says, putting it in public is a form of accountability
2. I find the inevitable rejections really difficult to handle, but feel creating a list will help me keep focused. even one can rejection derail me for days - and, oddly, in a way that rejections for other jobs have never affected me as badly.

this year is also a challenge as (very happily) I'm in the grand final of one of the commercial awareness competitions - which, along with my job and applications, means I need to be even more organised

about me... I'm a candidate who got a high-result LPC from University of Law Moorgate in summer 2021. currently working as a paralegal for a big media company. whilst a lot of my day job is about contracts (especially IP) I'm trying to gain experience in other areas, such as litigation. this is partly to add more flavour to my applications, and also partly to keep me constantly learning - a key reason for wanting to become a lawyer :)

my goal: secure a TC or VS by summer 2023.

*open days I applied to (both of which accepted me):
Bird & Bird
Taylor Wessing

*open days I got c/o Aspiring Solicitors:
Bristows

*firms I've applied to so far:
Bird & Bird
Taylor Wessing

*firms to apply to before New Year:
Bristows
Lewis Silkin
Osborne Clarke

*firms to finish researching and apply to from January 2023:
Pinsent Masons
RPC
Simkins
TLT
Wiggin

for all the firms in that last group, I've 'front-loaded' the research (e.g. attending online events), as know these start to become less regular in the new year. I've then written notes to finish in January and start applying for TCs and VSs.

goal for week beginning December 5th: finish off my Bristows application (meaning: fill it in with my free text answers, check it, print it, check it again, come back to it, leave it a day or two, check it again, and only then: submit)

• 🏆
Reactions: Erin and Jessica Booker

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
hello to you all,

I'm new here, heard about this website and specific thread from another forum member. I thought I'd try and post here when I have time each week.
two key reasons:
1. as Jaysen says, putting it in public is a form of accountability
2. I find the inevitable rejections really difficult to handle, but feel creating a list will help me keep focused. even one can rejection derail me for days - and, oddly, in a way that rejections for other jobs have never affected me as badly.

this year is also a challenge as (very happily) I'm in the grand final of one of the commercial awareness competitions - which, along with my job and applications, means I need to be even more organised

about me... I'm a candidate who got a high-result LPC from University of Law Moorgate in summer 2021. currently working as a paralegal for a big media company. whilst a lot of my day job is about contracts (especially IP) I'm trying to gain experience in other areas, such as litigation. this is partly to add more flavour to my applications, and also partly to keep me constantly learning - a key reason for wanting to become a lawyer :)

my goal: secure a TC or VS by summer 2023.

*open days I applied to (both of which accepted me):
Bird & Bird
Taylor Wessing

*open days I got c/o Aspiring Solicitors:
Bristows

*firms I've applied to so far:
Bird & Bird
Taylor Wessing

*firms to apply to before New Year:
Bristows
Lewis Silkin
Osborne Clarke

*firms to finish researching and apply to from January 2023:
Pinsent Masons
RPC
Simkins
TLT
Wiggin

for all the firms in that last group, I've 'front-loaded' the research (e.g. attending online events), as know these start to become less regular in the new year. I've then written notes to finish in January and start applying for TCs and VSs.

goal for week beginning December 5th: finish off my Bristows application (meaning: fill it in with my free text answers, check it, print it, check it again, come back to it, leave it a day or two, check it again, and only then: submit)
Kudos to you for starting this thread @Samphire! 👏👏

I relate to your feeling that TC rejections hit especially hard- I think it's something about the application process being more thorough, and more demanding in terms of how developed your motivations and self-awareness are, that makes getting rejected more painful. I always advise candidates to take a little time off from applications to process a rejection and see where it redirects you so that the impact of the rejection doesn't project on your next application.

I think your goals are reasonable and I look forward to reading your next update on how you got on with making your apps!

Reactions: Samphire

Samphire

Dec 5, 2022
Kudos to you for starting this thread @Samphire! 👏👏

I relate to your feeling that TC rejections hit especially hard- I think it's something about the application process being more thorough, and more demanding in terms of how developed your motivations and self-awareness are, that makes getting rejected more painful. I always advise candidates to take a little time off from applications to process a rejection and see where it redirects you so that the impact of the rejection doesn't project on your next application.

I think your goals are reasonable and I look forward to reading your next update on how you got on with making your apps!
thanks so much @AvniD appreciate your thoughts! will update next week, going through my Bristows application again today

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

Samphire

Dec 5, 2022
hello to you all,

hope you're keeping warm and not snowed in!

this week's update...

1) Bristows application submitted! giving myself a pat on the back for (a) submitting and (b) correcting all auto-corrections to "Bristols"
2) Got through to the next stage of the Bird & Bird application stage, the Watson Glaser test. I've got a week to do this, so will be putting in some practice at the end of the week to do this at the weekend.
3) Got a rejection from Taylor Wessing. I submitted it a month before the deadline, and felt my application was good, so was disappointed not to make it past the application stage. Not sure why it doesn't affect me as much as previous rejections (is this "personal growth"?!) However - in the nicest way possible - it's their loss, and I'm determined to keep going :)

this week's goals...
1) Keep revising for the final of the commercial awareness competition that is taking place this week (no pressure, eeeek!)
2) Revise my free text answers for my almost-there application to Lewis Silkin, have a few days away from it, then revisit next week (wb Dec 19th)
3) Start working on my Osborne Clarke application (think I know what I want to write, just need to beaver away on it on my lunch breaks) for a good first draft next week (wb Dec 19th). feel it's a bit late working on this, given the deadline (rolling) is January 16th but worth a shot isn't it...
4) Resist the temptation to eat any more mince pies

goals 1-3 seem attainable, at least... 🤣

• 🏆
Reactions: Maria d'Orey and AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
hello to you all,

hope you're keeping warm and not snowed in!

this week's update...

1) Bristows application submitted! giving myself a pat on the back for (a) submitting and (b) correcting all auto-corrections to "Bristols"
2) Got through to the next stage of the Bird & Bird application stage, the Watson Glaser test. I've got a week to do this, so will be putting in some practice at the end of the week to do this at the weekend.
3) Got a rejection from Taylor Wessing. I submitted it a month before the deadline, and felt my application was good, so was disappointed not to make it past the application stage. Not sure why it doesn't affect me as much as previous rejections (is this "personal growth"?!) However - in the nicest way possible - it's their loss, and I'm determined to keep going :)

this week's goals...
1) Keep revising for the final of the commercial awareness competition that is taking place this week (no pressure, eeeek!)
2) Revise my free text answers for my almost-there application to Lewis Silkin, have a few days away from it, then revisit next week (wb Dec 19th)
3) Start working on my Osborne Clarke application (think I know what I want to write, just need to beaver away on it on my lunch breaks) for a good first draft next week (wb Dec 19th). feel it's a bit late working on this, given the deadline (rolling) is January 16th but worth a shot isn't it...
4) Resist the temptation to eat any more mince pies

goals 1-3 seem attainable, at least... 🤣
Congrats on submitting your Bristows application and for getting through to the next stage of Bird & Bird! 👏

A rejection not affecting you as much as it did in the past is indeed personal growth (or the application process making you numb 😅)! Jokes apart, if you're able to take a rejection and not see it as a reflection of who you are as a person, then that's truly the healthiest way to approach something like this. You should be very proud of yourself for having such a balanced view so early on in the application cycle 👏

Would highly recommend getting another pair of eyes to look over your Lewis Silkin application as well so that you can know how your answers are being received. And it's definitely not too late for OC- definitely worth a shot!

P.S. eat all the mince pies!!

Reactions: Jaysen

Samphire

Dec 5, 2022
hello to you all - and happy new year

writing this a few weeks later than intended as got covid for the first time and it really hit me badly! 🤪

update since last time...
*I've got through to the Bird & Bird video interview stage. rather dreading this (as got knocked out last year) so trying to get some practice in to try and do well
*submitted my application to Bristows
*finishing off my Lewis Silkin and Osborne Clarke applications - which I'm looking to submit this week (fingers crossed!)

more next week!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
hello to you all - and happy new year

writing this a few weeks later than intended as got covid for the first time and it really hit me badly! 🤪

update since last time...
*I've got through to the Bird & Bird video interview stage. rather dreading this (as got knocked out last year) so trying to get some practice in to try and do well
*submitted my application to Bristows
*finishing off my Lewis Silkin and Osborne Clarke applications - which I'm looking to submit this week (fingers crossed!)

more next week!
Oh no, sorry to hear about you getting COVID! I hope you're better?

Very happy to hear about your Bird & Bird VI! Linking my post on VIs here in case you want some tips for preparation.

I hope your applications go well - I would also take some time to rest and recover, COVID can really knock you out! Let me know if you need any support with your application questions while you get better.

Reactions: Samphire

Samphire

Dec 5, 2022
Oh no, sorry to hear about you getting COVID! I hope you're better?

Very happy to hear about your Bird & Bird VI! Linking my post on VIs here in case you want some tips for preparation.

I hope your applications go well - I would also take some time to rest and recover, COVID can really knock you out! Let me know if you need any support with your application questions while you get better.
thank you so much! I'm getting there... I think

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

Samphire

Dec 5, 2022
hello to you all,

here is this week's update

1) I did the Bird & Bird video interview. I think I did... okay? but also made me realise how keen I am to get on the vacation scheme, seeing the Grad Rec team asking the questions and how nice everyone was at the events I have been to! 😮

2) I submitted my application to Osborne Clarke. I think I did the best I could, considering I am still a bit post-covid. speaking of which... I did the Osborne Clarke verbal reasoning test. hadn't realised the deadline matches the submission deadline. first 20 questions were okay... the last 10 of the 30 were... a good indication I'm still a bit brain foggy 🤪

3) submitted my application to Pinsent Masons. I feel this was stronger than my OC application, and no test, so fingers crossed!

my goal this week: submit my application to Lewis Silkin. the deadline is the 31st of this month but I think getting it submitted will provide a sense of progress, in case I read a "thanks but no thanks" from B&B/OC/PM

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
hello to you all,

here is this week's update

1) I did the Bird & Bird video interview. I think I did... okay? but also made me realise how keen I am to get on the vacation scheme, seeing the Grad Rec team asking the questions and how nice everyone was at the events I have been to! 😮

2) I submitted my application to Osborne Clarke. I think I did the best I could, considering I am still a bit post-covid. speaking of which... I did the Osborne Clarke verbal reasoning test. hadn't realised the deadline matches the submission deadline. first 20 questions were okay... the last 10 of the 30 were... a good indication I'm still a bit brain foggy 🤪

3) submitted my application to Pinsent Masons. I feel this was stronger than my OC application, and no test, so fingers crossed!

my goal this week: submit my application to Lewis Silkin. the deadline is the 31st of this month but I think getting it submitted will provide a sense of progress, in case I read a "thanks but no thanks" from B&B/OC/PM
Hi! I thought I'd comment on your thread as it looks like we have lots of similar firms in mind! Best of luck with hearing back from them all!

Also your last point is also my viewpoint. I feel like getting rejections will feel much nicer if I know I'm working on something else that will give me another shot :)

Samphire

Dec 5, 2022
update: rejected yesterday from Bird & Bird after my video interview. still really down about it. gutting, really, to think 6 minutes is what you're rejected on. especially when this is the firm I feel I've "bonded" with the most from attending many in-person and online events in 2021/2022. decided to have a weekend off from "all of this" and see if I can come back refreshed (rather than depressed). hey ho.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.