My Training Contract Journey

Sarah_00

• Aug 10, 2023
    I was inspired to create this thread, I would love to share my journey and I hope to document personal growth as well as any achievements.

I'm the first in my family to attend university, an immigrant family, with a single mother and I don't have a proffesional network to ask for support. When it comes to law, I'm on my own. But this forum helps a LOT!

A levels: A,A,B

Currently, I'm entering my third year in September with a low 2:1 (EC) and my first year grades a high 2:2 (EC).
    After the pandemic, I developed anxiety and low mood disorder with periods of depression. With support from family and friends I received some therapy in my second year, its really helped and my grades improved even if its not exceptional. I have now completed therapy.

In my first year I didn't do any extracurriculars and I worked in a fast food chain instead. I don't work there anymore.

In my second year, I got a sub comittee role, joined AS, volunteered with societies and participated in some extracurriculars. I completed an internship abroad and a few days in court. I am in the process of applying for ambassador roles and I have joined the Pro Bono group this year, where I hope to join the clinic. I'm undertaking a week long council research project and completing courses on Vantage. I have grown a lot as a professional and attended networking events which helped my confidence grow.

Third Year: I hope to achieve a First. Why not? It counts for 70% and I believe I can do it, because I finally feel like me again.

I will apply for Vac Schemes this year, I know my grades put me at a disadvantage but I want to familarise myself with the process and gain mentoring. I didn't apply last year and I hope to learn from this application cycle.

If rejected the plan is to apply the next cycle: I want to do a paralegal job for the year so I can gain insight on the inner workings of a firm. Then apply.

If I gain a TC, I will complete my masters then start my TC.

I hope to persevere.

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: I’m_Batman

Lawandmore

Sep 26, 2021
    I was inspired to create this thread, I would love to share my journey and I hope to document personal growth as well as any achievements.

I'm the first in my family to attend university, an immigrant family, with a single mother and I don't have a proffesional network to ask for support. When it comes to law, I'm on my own. But this forum helps a LOT!

A levels: A,A,B

Currently, I'm entering my third year in September with a low 2:1 (EC) and my first year grades a high 2:2 (EC).
    After the pandemic, I developed anxiety and low mood disorder with periods of depression. With support from family and friends I received some therapy in my second year, its really helped and my grades improved even if its not exceptional. I have now completed therapy.

In my first year I didn't do any extracurriculars and I worked in a fast food chain instead. I don't work there anymore.

In my second year, I got a sub comittee role, joined AS, volunteered with societies and participated in some extracurriculars. I completed an internship abroad and a few days in court. I am in the process of applying for ambassador roles and I have joined the Pro Bono group this year, where I hope to join the clinic. I'm undertaking a week long council research project and completing courses on Vantage. I have grown a lot as a professional and attended networking events which helped my confidence grow.

Third Year: I hope to achieve a First. Why not? It counts for 70% and I believe I can do it, because I finally feel like me again.

I will apply for Vac Schemes this year, I know my grades put me at a disadvantage but I want to familarise myself with the process and gain mentoring. I didn't apply last year and I hope to learn from this application cycle.

If rejected the plan is to apply the next cycle: I want to do a paralegal job for the year so I can gain insight on the inner workings of a firm. Then apply.

If I gain a TC, I will complete my masters then start my TC.

I hope to persevere.
    I had a similar journey from poor A-Levels to a 2:2 in my first year to graduating with a 2:1 and securing a vac scheme + TC at Osborne Clarke. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. You can definitely achieve it!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.