My unusual journey to a TC

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hey guys,

Been a while since I posted here.

I had a great time at W&C on the VS but did not manage to convert this into a TC.

Had some time to digest it over the summer and have already been applying for winter VS' and direct TCs.

In the meantime, I have been offered a role as a paralegal at an elite US firm which I will be starting imminently. Hopefully, this role will help supplement my applications further. :)

I will keep this thread updated with my progress on applications this upcoming cycle!

Onwards and upwards my friends!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey guys,

Been a while since I posted here.

I had a great time at W&C on the VS but did not manage to convert this into a TC.

Had some time to digest it over the summer and have already been applying for winter VS' and direct TCs.

In the meantime, I have been offered a role as a paralegal at an elite US firm which I will be starting imminently. Hopefully, this role will help supplement my applications further. :)

I will keep this thread updated with my progress on applications this upcoming cycle!

Please do, it is really amazing to see how you have managed to learn from your summer scheme and you did not let the rejection bring you down, this is exactly the kind of perseverance lawyers are made of so congrats to you!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Ali A

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hey team,

Little update from me. Applied to many firms over the last few months and have not heard back from some and received many many rejections from others.

I even received a PFO from the firm I currently work at which hurt but they have kindly offered to give me feedback even though this is not the norm at the application stage.

However, I am still very hopeful something will click this cycle and I will continue to apply and wait for more responses in the coming weeks and months.

The only positive response I have received in this tough application cycle has been from Dechert who invited me to complete the VI and written assessment. I feel I performed well in the VI but struggled with time management for the written assessment. Let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey team,

Little update from me. Applied to many firms over the last few months and have not heard back from some and received many many rejections from others.

I even received a PFO from the firm I currently work at which hurt but they have kindly offered to give me feedback even though this is not the norm at the application stage.

However, I am still very hopeful something will click this cycle and I will continue to apply and wait for more responses in the coming weeks and months.

The only positive response I have received in this tough application cycle has been from Dechert who invited me to complete the VI and Written Assessment. I feel I performed well in the VI but struggled with time management for the written assessment. Let's see what happens.

Well done on Dechert, Ali. This can be a really tough process and admire your willingness to carry on.

• 🏆

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Hey team,

The only positive response I have received in this tough application cycle has been from Dechert who invited me to complete the VI and written assessment. I feel I performed well in the VI but struggled with time management for the written assessment. Let's see what happens.

Congratulations on Dechert, Ali! I really admire your tenacity, hopefully the remainder of this cycle goes really well for you

• 🏆

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey team,

So glad to hear your perseverance and your willingness to keep following your dream, it has been really inspiring to read! Congratulations for this as I think these qualities are going to be extremely helpful in your future.

Major congratulations for obtaining a video interview and a written assessment from Dechert, it is a hard firm to apply to and get through the application stage so be so proud of yourself!

Good luck for everything!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jaysen and Ali A

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Hi Ali, I’m interested in applying for a VS at W&C. As you have completed a VS at the firm, can I DM you to ask some questions about the firm?

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    So glad to hear your perseverance and your willingness to keep following your dream, it has been really inspiring to read! Congratulations for this as I think these qualities are going to be extremely helpful in your future.

Major congratulations for obtaining a video interview and a written assessment from Dechert, it is a hard firm to apply to and get through the application stage so be so proud of yourself!

Good luck for everything!

Thank you, Axel!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Quick update,

Over the last week or so I have progressed past the application stage for Baker McKenzie and Freshfields. :)

Feels good to have some good news after many PFOs this cycle.

Hoping I perform well on the online tests and get an AC invite from one or both!

P.S. still waiting on Dechert after completing the VI and written assessment to hear whether I will progress to the AC stage.

Onwards and upwards my friends.

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hello friends,

Since the last post, I got rejected for Dechert post-VI and written assessment. I thought I did well enough but maybe the written assessment was not up to scratch (I remember having some typos in there).

I then passed my first ever SJT with Bakers and have now been invited to complete a VI which is very exciting.

I also got invited to the Vinson & Elkins VI and have since completed it. I think it went well but let us see what happens as it is a very competitive firm to get an AC for.

Last but by no means least, I just got offered an AC from Freshfields for the direct training contract!!!!! I am over the moon and will prepare well for this as it is a great opportunity. It has been the first time since my PFO post-vacation scheme at White & Case that I feel I am close to achieving my dream again!

P.S. I thought I would say how things can change so quickly in an application cycle. I think you can see I was slowly losing hope in my post in Jan after 10 straight PFOs but fast forward a month and I have got through the initial stages for 4 top firms now. Just shows everyone should keep their hopes up and try as hard as possible, as you never know what is around the corner.

Onwards and upwards!

Last edited:

legallyells

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 23, 2023
    Hello friends,

Since the last post, I got rejected for Dechert post-VI and written assessment. I thought I did well enough but maybe the written assessment was not up to scratch (I remember having some typos in there).

I then passed my first ever SJT with Bakers and have now been invited to complete a VI which is very exciting.

I also got invited to the Vinson & Elkins VI and have since completed it. I think it went well but lets see what happens as it is a very competitive firm to get an AC for.

Last but by no means least, I just got offered an assessment centre from Freshfields for the direct training contract. I am over the moon and will prepare well for this as it is a great opportunity. It has been the first time since my PFO post-vacation scheme at White & Case that I feel I am close to achieving my dream again!
    this is huge, massive congrats - you've got this!

• 🏆

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Hello friends,

I also got invited to the Vinson & Elkins VI and have since completed it. I think it went well but let us see what happens as it is a very competitive firm to get an AC for.

Last but by no means least, I just got offered an assessment centre from Freshfields for the direct training contract!!!!! I am over the moon and will prepare well for this as it is a great opportunity. It has been the first time since my PFO post-vacation scheme at White & Case that I feel I am close to achieving my dream again!

P.S. I thought I would say how things can change so quickly in an application cycle. I think you can see I was slowly losing hope in my post in Jan after 10 straight PFOs but fast forward a month and I have got through the initial stages for 4 top firms now. Just shows everyone should keep their hopes up and try as hard as possible, as you never know what is around the corner.

Onwards and upwards!
    ali, ive been following your journey all this time and im so proud of you <3333 rooting for you, you're so deserving of that TC and I really hope you get it!! keep us posted :)

• Love

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.