Negotiation exercise tips

A98

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Hi all,

Does anyone have tips to do well in negotiations?

When discussing multiple issues, I often notice that the timing is running out and even though we're all aware, we have difficulty moving on to cover all issues. In this case, is it better to briefly discuss all points/issues but end up being vague or focus on a few issues to reach a definitive conclusion for those?

Also, what is a polite way of saying 'I'll give you X if you give us Y concessions'? I want to present myself as being confident without sounding forceful or arrogant.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Ideally, you want to set your agenda and of course, prioritise the things that you want to address. However, by doing so, you may be letting the opposite side know this.

In exercises, I have outright said "I'd like to discuss X issue" as for the client, it was absolutely key to get the issue addressed. You will likely get a response from the other side saying "Ok, we need to talk about Y". The ancillary matters can follow after.

If you want to propose a settlement:

"It is clear that X is an important issue for us so i'd like to resolve the point. I can also see that you are interested in Y. So, how about this: [Proposal]". By acknowledging that both parties are interested in something, you are likely to focus the other side to come to an agreement. At the end of the day, all exercises are set out with both teams having goals they need to meet.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Eva

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.