Next steps

corinium

Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 27, 2021
    Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum, but have really enjoyed reading the content published by the team and the community - it has already cleared up a few misconceptions I had about commercial law.

Just by way of background:
    I have just finished my first year of my LLB at a non-RG university, finishing with a first (75%) with strong grades in all traditional-QLD modules. I am preparing for next year with a view to applying to vacation schemes at city firms. If I am honest, my university has not made any specific reference to what we should be doing career-wise in preparation for second year (perhaps due to COVID, not sure), so I am a little lost.

My main question, therefore, is will my low grades at A-Level (BBB) automatically exclude me from vac schemes despite good first year grades? I don't have extenuating circumstances, I was just silly and didn't work as hard as I should have, but I have changed my mindset completely at university. Will city firms view my 75% less favourably to a RG candidate with 65%?

Thanks!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum, but have really enjoyed reading the content published by the team and the community - it has already cleared up a few misconceptions I had about commercial law.

Just by way of background:
    I have just finished my first year of my LLB at a non-RG university, finishing with a first (75%) with strong grades in all traditional-QLD modules. I am preparing for next year with a view to applying to vacation schemes at city firms. If I am honest, my university has not made any specific reference to what we should be doing career-wise in preparation for second year (perhaps due to COVID, not sure), so I am a little lost.

My main question, therefore, is will my low grades at A-Level (BBB) automatically exclude me from vac schemes despite good first year grades? I don't have extenuating circumstances, I was just silly and didn't work as hard as I should have, but I have changed my mindset completely at university. Will city firms view my 75% less favourably to a RG candidate with 65%?

Thanks!
    If a firm has a strict A level requirement, then unfortunately you won’t be able to apply to them.

However, there are lots of firms who don’t have A-level requirements these days and also there are plenty more that have an A-level requirement that you’d be able to meet anyway.

I think most firms would look at your 75% more favourably than a 65% at a RG uni.

I would invest time in interacting with firms you are interested in, whether through careers fair or webinars/seminars etc and ask them about your chances at these type of events.

corinium

Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 27, 2021
    If a firm has a strict A level requirement, then unfortunately you won’t be able to apply to them.

However, there are lots of firms who don’t have A-level requirements these days and also there are plenty more that have an A-level requirement that you’d be able to meet anyway.

I think most firms would look at your 75% more favourably than a 65% at a RG uni.
    Thank you for your reply! Even with firms that don't have A-level requirements, I assume they still take them into account? It's just I have some friends a little bit further down the road than me (I took a gap year, they didn't) and they often got A/A* and have said to me they think it has made a difference in their vacation scheme and TC apps. Just need my fears put to rest really!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your reply! Even with firms that don't have A-level requirements, I assume they still take them into account? It's just I have some friends a little bit further down the road than me (I took a gap year, they didn't) and they often got A/A* and have said to me they think it has made a difference in their vacation scheme and TC apps. Just need my fears put to rest really!
    Yes, they will still take them into account, but clearly it doesn’t mean much to them otherwise they would have the minimum requirement.

People often think it’s the more quantifiable things that make the difference. It’s easier to substantiate the difference in grades as they are on a sliding scale. But ultimately it’s the stuff that’s not as easily quantifiable that actually gets your application considered. There’s a lot of assumptions and myths out their in student populations to think that A-levels are what get you the job.

A-level grades are usually the least important part of an application from my experience.

Reactions: corinium

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.