No direct experience but personal interest in practice area

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
@Jessica Booker Is it possible to show interest in a particular niche area of a sector and be successful in an application without having any direct experience in that area? If so, how does one go about demonstrating this in an application answer without going into the topic in depth. Eg Hill Dickinson have one question asking why I’d be interested in applying for marine law seat with no other questions given in the application or am I best applying for another seat where I can demonstrate experience but not likely to stand out as anything different to offer as an applicant with CAB and law clinic pro bono experience if other applicants state the same. Thank you.

divaination

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 31, 2022
    hi I sat in a marine department for a vac scheme and demonstrated interest without any experience. you can talk about the aspects of marine law that's interesting eg international aspect, unique nature of shipping disputes or casualties. relate it back to the work of the firm itself as well x

Reactions: TCinpipeline

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Is it possible to show interest in a particular niche area of a sector and be successful in an application without having any direct experience in that area? If so, how does one go about demonstrating this in an application answer without going into the topic in depth. Eg Hill Dickinson have one question asking why I’d be interested in applying for marine law seat with no other questions given in the application or am I best applying for another seat where I can demonstrate experience but not likely to stand out as anything different to offer as an applicant with CAB and law clinic pro bono experience if other applicants state the same. Thank you.
    Yes - I think it’s possible. You can show your interest in what you have been learning/reading, by trying to inform yourself about the sector through events or networking with people in the industry.

If you have none of these when applying, it would need a clear, rational detail as to why that industry appeals to you.

Reactions: TCinpipeline

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.