No info online on small boutique London law firm

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Hi I am applying to a small boutique law firm online but there doesn't seem to be any helpful information online/social media platforms to assist in explaining why I'd like to apply to them in my cover letter. The firm doesn't seem to have any presence online. There are reviews from clients on their website but I cannot look at their top clients online as they are confidential due to them being high value clients. I have checked out Legal 500 but there is nothing on the firm there either. What should I focus on if there isn't anything to go by? If I just focus on their practice areas, wouldn't this make it a generic application? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi I am applying to a small boutique law firm online but there doesn't seem to be any helpful information online/social media platforms to assist in explaining why I'd like to apply to them in my cover letter. The firm doesn't seem to have any presence online. There are reviews from clients on their website but I cannot look at their top clients online as they are confidential due to them being high value clients. I have checked out Legal 500 but there is nothing on the firm there either. What should I focus on if there isn't anything to go by? If I just focus on their practice areas, wouldn't this make it a generic application? Thank you.
Could you find current or alumni lawyers on LinkedIn and ask for their views/thoughts?

Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Does their website have information about their practice areas, recent deals/cases? Are there any news articles on their work, their business strategy, any new offices they've opened? I would also try to reach out to people who work at the firm via LinkedIn as @Jessica Booker suggested.

Even if you don't find any substantial information, you still can avoid making a generic application by linking the reasons why you want to apply to the firm back to your motivation for a career in commercial law. So if you say you like the firm's XYZ practice area, substantiate this statement by adding why you like this practice area and what experiences helped shape your interest in it.

I hope this helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.