Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I'm currently writing an application with 4 questions where none of them have word counts. This is for Morrison & Foerster and includes questions like why us, why law (these two are bundled together), a commercial news story that impacts us, personal achievements etc.

I'm tempted to not limit myself too much because then I can really sell myself as fully as possible. But, do you think this is trumped by being concise and to-the-point? The latter would make more of an impact I think, but which is more important?

Thank you!

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Personally, yes I’d still try to be concise. Would suggest around the 300-50 word mark for each part, as most just ask for 250 words. That’s what I would do if I was answering the questions. Not that you will make it happen, but you don’t want the reader to loose interest. Whatever you do, don’t go down the MacFarlanes 500 word route, unless they clearly mention it somewhere.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think MoFo use one of the traditional providers to host their application form - so it may just be a system thing.

Reactions: Hazal

ESE

Standard Member
Dec 14, 2018
I'm working on my MoFo application right now too; the lack of a word limit always makes me anxious lol.

I did email MoFo grad rec, and they confirmed that there is no word limit, so you don't need to worry about the form cutting off responses for being over a certain length. But at the same time, definitely be as concise as possible. Just use common sense on what you think is worth including. I generally find I can cut an answer down by 50-60% when the word limit requires me to (and I realise at the end that I really didn't lose too much substantively by doing so). My third question is at 755 words right now, so I imagine at best I'll probably be around ~350-500 words per question (but that may be longer than they want).

Anyway, best of luck!

• 🏆
Reactions: AspiringSol and Hazal

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I'm working on my MoFo application right now too; the lack of a word limit always makes me anxious lol.

I did email MoFo grad rec, and they confirmed that there is no word limit, so you don't need to worry about the form cutting off responses for being over a certain length. But at the same time, definitely be as concise as possible. Just use common sense on what you think is worth including. I generally find I can cut an answer down by 50-60% when the word limit requires me to (and I realise at the end that I really didn't lose too much substantively by doing so). My third question is at 755 words right now, so I imagine at best I'll probably be around ~350-500 words per question (but that may be longer than they want).

Anyway, best of luck!
So helpful! Thank you :) good luck to you too

Personally, yes I’d still try to be concise. Would suggest around the 300-50 word mark for each part, as most just ask for 250 words. That’s what I would do if I was answering the questions. Not that you will make it happen, but you don’t want the reader to loose interest. Whatever you do, don’t go down the MacFarlanes 500 word route, unless they clearly mention it somewhere.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think MoFo use one of the traditional providers to host their application form - so it may just be a system thing.
Thank you AJ! they're not no. Completely different kind of form

Reactions: ESE

Roch1234

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2018
Hey, have any of you heard back from MoFo if you dont mind me asking? I'm considering applying, but if they've already dished out ACs/Interviews I'll most probably leave it as the deadlines soon.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Hey, have any of you heard back from MoFo if you dont mind me asking? I'm considering applying, but if they've already dished out ACs/Interviews I'll most probably leave it as the deadlines soon.
Hey, isn't MoFo's deadline already past? (6th Jan). Or are you applying in a different country?

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I got an email from my University a week ago saying that the deadline has been extended to Feb 3rd!
Oh very nice! I applied on 5th and haven't heard back yet so go for it. They must have extended it to get a few more applications in so you're still in a good position

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.