Non-law and Vacation Schemes

Phoebe-Lou

Feb 8, 2019
Hi all, I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

I am going to be a penultimate non-law student and I am becoming more and more confused about what I can apply to this year! For some firms (such as shearman and sterling) I can very clearly only apply to the 'first year schemes', while for others it appears as if I am eligible to apply for the vacation schemes (A and O). To add to the confusion some firms gr are saying different things to what was said when I met them in person (NRF said I could only apply final year, but when I emailed to enquire about first steps I got told I can apply to the vacation scheme???)

So through this rambling my question is, does anyone know of - or is willing to help me make a definitive list - of firms I can apply to? Both 'first year schemes' and vacation schemes? Also, am I right in thinking that I can only apply to Freshfields this year?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all, I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

I am going to be a penultimate non-law student and I am becoming more and more confused about what I can apply to this year! For some firms (such as shearman and sterling) I can very clearly only apply to the 'first year schemes', while for others it appears as if I am eligible to apply for the vacation schemes (A and O). To add to the confusion some firms gr are saying different things to what was said when I met them in person (NRF said I could only apply final year, but when I emailed to enquire about first steps I got told I can apply to the vacation scheme???)

So through this rambling my question is, does anyone know of - or is willing to help me make a definitive list - of firms I can apply to? Both 'first year schemes' and vacation schemes? Also, am I right in thinking that I can only apply to Freshfields this year?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Phoebe-Lou,

I was in your position last cycle so totally understand the position you're in!

You are able to apply to the following:

Allen & Overy
    Bird & Bird
    Clifford Chance
    DLA Piper (First Year Insight Scheme)
    Freshfields
    Herbert Smith Freehills
    Linklaters
    Macfarlanes
    Slaughter and May
    Weil, Gotshal & Manges
    White & Case

And probably some more firms but these were the ones I applied to!

Hope that helps :)

Phoebe-Lou

Feb 8, 2019
    Hi Phoebe-Lou,

I was in your position last cycle so totally understand the position you're in!

You are able to apply to the following:

Allen & Overy
    Bird & Bird
    Clifford Chance
    DLA Piper (First Year Insight Scheme)
    Freshfields
    Herbert Smith Freehills
    Linklaters
    Macfarlanes
    Slaughter and May
    Weil, Gotshal & Manges
    White & Case

And probably some more firms but these were the ones I applied to!

Hope that helps :)
    Thank you so much that is incredibly helpful! Do you reckon my chances are much lower applying this year?

Also hope your vac scheme went well!!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you so much that is incredibly helpful! Do you reckon my chances are much lower applying this year?

Also hope your vac scheme went well!!
    Honestly, I have no idea but I'd imagine not! Otherwise, why would they allow people in our position to apply?

Vac scheme went well thanks but still waiting to hear back!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.