Non-law final year making applications, any advice?

dw11cfc

• Dec 30, 2023
    Hi, I'm a non-law final year student at uni of Manchester. I've only really properly started researching law and a legal career this academic year, so I am a bit behind the schedule of this application season, but this forum is very helpful. My plan is to do my best this round but focus on my uni work, and then next year properly go for it with hopefully good uni grades.

For the applications I am doing, I was wondering if I should worry about a very low mark 1st year of uni? I got ~50 in 1st year but 64.7 in 2nd and am averaging 78 (based off of only 1 module mark though!) so far in 3rd. Tbh, I just didn't work in 1st year and knew that it didn't count towards my degree. I have all A*s at A level, maybe that will balance it out.

For TLTs VS application, they say "Please list your undergraduate modules and scores:". Could I just list my second and third year modules and take this question to mean all relevant modules that count towards your degree, or are they clearly asking for all my module scores?

Thank you & any advice appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You will need to disclose your first year grades for firms that request them - leaving them out will lead them to come to the fairly obvious conclusion as to why they have not been included. If you continue to do well in your third year, I don't think your first year grades will be too much of an issue - there will be some firms that will be more focused on academics, and you may want to avoid them, but there will be far more many firms who won't obsess about first year grades.

If you haven't done so already, join MULS - they will run a good number of events and will connect you with firms for the remainder of this year.

dw11cfc

• Dec 30, 2023
    You will need to disclose your first year grades for firms that request them - leaving them out will lead them to come to the fairly obvious conclusion as to why they have not been included. If you continue to do well in your third year, I don't think your first year grades will be too much of an issue - there will be some firms that will be more focused on academics, and you may want to avoid them, but there will be far more many firms who won't obsess about first year grades.

If you haven't done so already, join MULS - they will run a good number of events and will connect you with firms for the remainder of this year.
    Thank you!

affidavid

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2024
    Hi, I'm a non-law final year student at uni of Manchester. I've only really properly started researching law and a legal career this academic year, so I am a bit behind the schedule of this application season, but this forum is very helpful. My plan is to do my best this round but focus on my uni work, and then next year properly go for it with hopefully good uni grades.

For the applications I am doing, I was wondering if I should worry about a very low mark 1st year of uni? I got ~50 in 1st year but 64.7 in 2nd and am averaging 78 (based off of only 1 module mark though!) so far in 3rd. Tbh, I just didn't work in 1st year and knew that it didn't count towards my degree. I have all A*s at A level, maybe that will balance it out.

For TLTs VS application, they say "Please list your undergraduate modules and scores:". Could I just list my second and third year modules and take this question to mean all relevant modules that count towards your degree, or are they clearly asking for all my module scores?

Thank you & any advice appreciated.
    hey i'm in the same position - non-law 3rd year, just looking at law this year. What firms have u applied to so far?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.