Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 7, 2020
Hi!!! :)

First time posting a thread :)

I'm a final year History student at a Russell Group university and have had reasonable medical and family mitigating circumstances throughout my degree which has resulted in a couple of not-great module results (a third in second-year and a 2:2 in my first year). Overall, however, I am on track this year for an upper class 2:1 or first. I have no strong legal background in terms of work experience but have been working since sixteen in different roles and have been interested in commercial law since my A-Levels. As I am in my final year and the summer vacation scheme app period is around I feel as though due to my grades and my latecomer commercial awareness I am not in the greatest/strongest position to apply. My workload this term has been pretty heavy and I feel as though I am limited in the number of strong applications that I can honestly make. I wanted to know, if in the case of not getting a vac scheme in the summer, how would a year-out working post-grad look to firms? Am I at a disadvantage not getting a vac scheme in my final year, and reapply in a post-graduate position? I have also heard that doing the GDL without a training contract is not a good idea (I would not be able to self-fund but was thinking of applying to some scholarships)?

Any advice would be super helpful!!!!

D

Deleted member 8341

Hi - I think Jessica could give much better advice but here's what I've heard. Any work experience is good, lots of people change careers and get TCs so a year with a good grad scheme will look good on your application form. A year with nothing might not look great but a job in sales/consulting/civil service/ any good grad scheme could enhance your chances. You actually can self-fund the first year of a GDL with a government loan but this isn't recommended by many people.

• 🤝
Reactions: time2work

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Applying as a graduate is not a problem at all.

It may benefit you, as it sounds like waiting for your final year degree results might be appropriate anyway (you say the ext circs apply to throughout your degree, and so it is difficult for a receiver to see your true academic ability if there are only ext circs blocking your potentially across all years).

The average age of a trainee is 27 or 28, so clearly plenty of people are coming to the industry later than their last year at uni. You ultimately need to get your application is the strongest position you can, and it sounds like at the moment that maybe focusing on your academics and getting strong final grades should be your focus, alongside developing your commercial awareness

• 🤝

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
One thing to remember is the GDL does finish in 2021, than is the only major consideration in my opinion that may influence a decision on whether to self fund or not.

You’ll have to be signed up to a course by 30 September 2021 (with it stating to later than 31 Deember 2021) to get on the existing qualification route - otherwise it is the SQE route (you will have no choice in the matter).

• 🤝

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker on a related note with mitigating circumstances will law firms ask for proof later on, and what kind of proof will they accept?

They will try to find some way of verifying them if they think it is necessary. They usually do this by getting reference from your academic institution.

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
Hi!!! :)

First time posting a thread :)

I'm a final year History student at a Russell Group university and have had reasonable medical and family mitigating circumstances throughout my degree which has resulted in a couple of not-great module results (a third in second-year and a 2:2 in my first year). Overall, however, I am on track this year for an upper class 2:1 or first. I have no strong legal background in terms of work experience but have been working since sixteen in different roles and have been interested in commercial law since my A-Levels. As I am in my final year and the summer vacation scheme app period is around I feel as though due to my grades and my latecomer commercial awareness I am not in the greatest/strongest position to apply. My workload this term has been pretty heavy and I feel as though I am limited in the number of strong applications that I can honestly make. I wanted to know, if in the case of not getting a vac scheme in the summer, how would a year-out working post-grad look to firms? Am I at a disadvantage not getting a vac scheme in my final year, and reapply in a post-graduate position? I have also heard that doing the GDL without a training contract is not a good idea (I would not be able to self-fund but was thinking of applying to some scholarships)?

Any advice would be super helpful!!!!

Firms would have no problem with you taking a year out to work. Any work experience is great, law or non law related. What’s most important is how you talk about your experiences in your applications and interviews.

Re self-funding the GDL/ applying for scholarships there’s no right or wrong answer. I chose to self fund mine because it meant I could get some legal work experience, which isn’t a must but it’s something I wanted to do. Equally, it may not be worth it for others. It really depends on your circumstances. But also note as Jessica has said above that the GDL route is changing to the SQE soon so that’s something to keep in mind when making your decision.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.