Non-Law job after paralegal role and LPC resits question

TheArch

Mar 10, 2020
Hi all!

I am again posting after several months of hibernation (exams, yay!). Hope you're all well! I have a slightly long story but will try and keep it nice and short for convenience :)

I have a 2.1 Degree from City, University of London and have no resits in the degree. However, I have had to resit several exams on my LPC (to my utter heartbreak *sobs*). I have secured a paralegal role back in January this year but have recently left the role. I am now being offered another role as an operations executive, but I am unsure whether I should take it (I have until the 17th to decide). Will law firms frown upon my transition from paralegal to non-legal role, as well as me resitting a few modules? I will intend on doing virtual work experiences in the meantime, no matter the role(s) :D Shall I stick to law-related roles only, or will law firms be okay with other roles after leaving a law-related one?

I also possess pretty mediocre A- Level grades (ACCC) and redid my AS Levels too (I guess I am not very academic...). Pretty sure that most law firms are out of my reach, but I did attend several open days and have passed the application stage for Kennedys and BCLP ))

Sorry if this post is a bit silly - I'm just feeling a little lost...

Any advice at all would be much appreciated - thank you so much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all!

I am again posting after several months of hibernation (exams, yay!). Hope you're all well! I have a slightly long story but will try and keep it nice and short for convenience :)

I have a 2.1 Degree from City, University of London and have no resits in the degree. However, I have had to resit several exams on my LPC (to my utter heartbreak *sobs*). I have secured a paralegal role back in January this year but have recently left the role. I am now being offered another role as an operations executive, but I am unsure whether I should take it (I have until the 17th to decide). Will law firms frown upon my transition from paralegal to non-legal role, as well as me resitting a few modules? I will intend on doing virtual work experiences in the meantime, no matter the role(s) :D Shall I stick to law-related roles only, or will law firms be okay with other roles after leaving a law-related one?

I also possess pretty mediocre A- Level grades (ACCC) and redid my AS Levels too (I guess I am not very academic...). Pretty sure that most law firms are out of my reach, but I did attend several open days and have passed the application stage for Kennedys and BCLP ))

Sorry if this post is a bit silly - I'm just feeling a little lost...

Any advice at all would be much appreciated - thank you so much! :)
The resits will be more of an issue for some firms than the changing roles to a non legal role.

For TCs, firms tend to just focus on your transferable skills rather than getting caught up with job titles.

TheArch

Mar 10, 2020
The resits will be more of an issue for some firms than the changing roles to a non legal role.

For TCs, firms tend to just focus on your transferable skills rather than getting caught up with job titles.
Thank you for your reply, Jessica.
I guess I will have to try and explain why I had to resit. I may change careers, however. I guess we shall see :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Just to echo Jessica's answer, i've found that non-legal work experience can be very valuable. You're often gaining experience in an industry a law firm's client works in and that will help a lot with commercial awareness and backing up your interest in the commercial part of a commercial lawyer's role!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.