hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
Hi everyone!
I'm currently doing my PGDL having got a vs last year but not converting. I am currently applying to some TC's/ VS but how this cycle is going, I'm finding it unlikely to get a TC. I have a few options post-PGDL and am looking for some advice on which would be the best going forward.

1. I am in the final stage for a non-law role which would last 18-24 months FTC focused in regulation (the CMA)
2. I have the option to go to Spain and work there for a year (I did a TEFL qualification last year)
3. Try secure a paralegal job in the UK.

My issue is, I don't know how it would if i got a full-time job not in law and was wondering if this would reflect badly on my determination to be a lawyer?

Thanks in advance!

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Hi everyone!
I'm currently doing my PGDL having got a vs last year but not converting. I am currently applying to some TC's/ VS but how this cycle is going, I'm finding it unlikely to get a TC. I have a few options post-PGDL and am looking for some advice on which would be the best going forward.

1. I am in the final stage for a non-law role which would last 18-24 months FTC focused in regulation (the CMA)
2. I have the option to go to Spain and work there for a year (I did a TEFL qualification last year)

My issue is, I don't know how it would if i got a full-time job not in law and was wondering if this would reflect badly on my determination to be a lawyer?

Thanks in advance!
I personally wouldn't worry too much about getting a "legal" role in the interim whilst applying for TCs as long as you can later explain why you did it and what you learned from it that's relevant to being a lawyer. I spent more than 3 years working in in-house telecoms regulation and managed to get a TC, during my vac scheme I met others who had come from non-law professions (civil service, the army etc) who were also successful in getting a TC. If anything it can be an advantage to do something else prior to becoming a lawyer as it means you have unique experience to bring to the table.

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
Thank you so much! My main issue is that I have done the GDL so unsure if that looks a bit less committed to law or not? The non law job is really up my street (I did politics as an undergrad and is v policy / politics focused) but I also really want the opportunity to live abroad aswell so think it may be the option between those two now! Can I ask whether you had any questions about the change of career when you applied and whether your motivation was questioned?

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Thank you so much! My main issue is that I have done the GDL so unsure if that looks a bit less committed to law or not? The non law job is really up my street (I did politics as an undergrad and is v policy / politics focused) but I also really want the opportunity to live abroad aswell so think it may be the option between those two now! Can I ask whether you had any questions about the change of career when you applied and whether your motivation was questioned?
My situation is a bit unique as I got into the regulatory job because of a scholarship I had with a company, but even so during my vac scheme I was asked why I wanted to leave / didn't want to stay on in the role as I had mentioned that I did really enjoy it. I just explained that it was my long-term goal to become a lawyer. During my AC interview itself I made sure to pitch my experience in a way that showed that really my long-term aim was always law and to show how I kept an interest in it during my regulatory years, e.g. actively seeking out opportunities to work with counsel, talking about my work in advising my colleagues on regulation which of course closely mirrors the work of lawyers advising clients.

Paralegal roles are extremely competitive, I tried applying for some myself earlier this year and most of the ads I saw wanted prior paralegal experience(!). Personally if you are fortunate enough to get the CMA role I would take it, if you think it would be really interesting I wouldn't decline that opportunity to chase a paralegal vacancy and it's fairly easy to spin it in a way that is still true to your long-term ambitions as a lawyer. The English-teaching job in Spain might be a bit more difficult to do that with, but not impossible.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!
Do what is right for you. All of these roles would bring a different range of transferable skills to an application, and I don’t see it being an issue going on to do any of them.

Reactions: AvniD and anxiouslawyer

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!
The first option seems pretty relevant, but as Jessica said, any of these options would give you tons of transferable skills that you could use to demonstrate your suitability for a career in commercial law. Whatever you do, I'd highly suggest staying on top of developments in commercial law via webinars, online events and networking events. You'll also be able to effectively demonstrate your interest in commercial law this way even if you do something non-law. Wishing you all the best! 😇

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.