Non-Law looking for legal work experience

ironspears45

Nov 21, 2023
Just some background, I am a 2nd year non-law student applying to a few vac schemes, first year insight schemes and open days this application cycle. Over the summer I spent a week at a national, corporate law firm, but it would be a stretch to call this an internship as it was so short-term and a large amount of shadowing rather than hands-on work.

I have been looking into fixed contract paralegal work for over the summer as I do not expect to get a summer vacation scheme this year and feel like I need some more understanding of what a commercial solicitor does. I applied to Flex Legal and have already been rejected and I'm struggling to find any paralegal opportunities that take non-law students or those without any paralegalling experience.

If anyone knows of anywhere I could find paralegal opportunities I would be eligible for then that would be great, but if not, does anyone have any suggestions of others way to gain some legal/business experience as a non-law student?

Is my best bet cold-emailing for informal internships at local firms or looking for business operations internships?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just some background, I am a 2nd year non-law student applying to a few vac schemes, first year insight schemes and open days this application cycle. Over the summer I spent a week at a national, corporate law firm, but it would be a stretch to call this an internship as it was so short-term and a large amount of shadowing rather than hands-on work.

I have been looking into fixed contract paralegal work for over the summer as I do not expect to get a summer vacation scheme this year and feel like I need some more understanding of what a commercial solicitor does. I applied to Flex Legal and have already been rejected and I'm struggling to find any paralegal opportunities that take non-law students or those without any paralegalling experience.

If anyone knows of anywhere I could find paralegal opportunities I would be eligible for then that would be great, but if not, does anyone have any suggestions of others way to gain some legal/business experience as a non-law student?

Is my best bet cold-emailing for informal internships at local firms or looking for business operations internships?
Paralegal work just over the summer will be tricky (most likely why you have been unsuccessful for Flex). You will have more luck when you have graduated and have more ability to work beyond 8-12 weeks.

I would keep applying to vacation schemes - they will be your best bet. Also consider some of the virtual programmes.

You may also find more luck with high-street firms in your local area too - but even these tend to be more admin roles rather than paralegal roles.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.