Non-law student looking for advice

Casual

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 6, 2019
    Hello and Happy New Year!
    I'm currently in my final year doing Economics & Business at UCL. As I recently got my first application rejection I feel slightly demotivated and decided to re-evaluate my current situation.

• As of now, my average is at 59 with a predicted 2:1 upon graduation.
    • My module grades so far are as follows: one first, eight 2:1s, three 2:2s and 2 marks in their 40s.
    • The only work experience I have is a one-month internship at EY over the last summer in the assurance team.
    • Extra-curricular wise I was heavily involved in dance society and took second place as a choreographer for a team competition last year. Choreographing for a big show this year too.
    Based on the above, could you please advise me on what would be the most optimal thing to do in my current situation?
    Should I continue applying for law firms vac schemes? Or is it not worth it and I'd be better off prioritising my academics, securing 2:1 and applying during GDL instead? If so I'd imagine I will still need to compensate for my poor university academic performance and attain distinction at GDL - is it realistic while also submitting quality applications?
    I was also considering doing pro bono in the second term to build up legal work experience. If there's anything else I could do, would so much appreciate your advice.
    Thank you.

A4991

Star Member
    Nov 20, 2019
    Hello and Happy New Year!
    I'm currently in my final year doing Economics & Business at UCL. As I recently got my first application rejection I feel slightly demotivated and decided to re-evaluate my current situation.

• As of now, my average is at 59 with a predicted 2:1 upon graduation.
    • My module grades so far are as follows: one first, eight 2:1s, three 2:2s and 2 marks in their 40s.
    • The only work experience I have is a one-month internship at EY over the last summer in the assurance team.
    • Extra-curricular wise I was heavily involved in dance society and took second place as a choreographer for a team competition last year. Choreographing for a big show this year too.
    Based on the above, could you please advise me on what would be the most optimal thing to do in my current situation?
    Should I continue applying for law firms vac schemes? Or is it not worth it and I'd be better off prioritising my academics, securing 2:1 and applying during GDL instead? If so I'd imagine I will still need to compensate for my poor university academic performance and attain distinction at GDL - is it realistic while also submitting quality applications?
    I was also considering doing pro bono in the second term to build up legal work experience. If there's anything else I could do, would so much appreciate your advice.
    Thank you.

Focus on getting as many 2.1s and 1sts in your remaining modules to make up for your mixed performance. Your marks look a bit dodgy especially the 2:2s and 40s. A lot of firms are looking for consistency and strong 2.1s across the board.

I would also advise against doing the GDL without a training contract. I think it's really risky and I know of many people that still were unsuccessful in gaining a TC during the GDL despite having 1st class degrees and coming from russell group unis.

Take a year out after your degree and get a job to boost your work experience and then apply for vacation schemes in this year. Your marks will hopefully have averaged out to a 2.1 and you will have lots more experiences to draw from for your applications and interviews.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.