Norton Rose Fulbright Telephone Interview

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Here we go! Found it eventually. For reference, the discussion was around pg.100/101 of the 2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion thread, in case there's anything I've missed therefrom which might be beneficial to you.

Hey all, many congratulations on getting to this stage! My experience of the telephone interview content-wise was mainly what I've already mentioned here:
    When I did mine for the 2020 VS, the questions were a little more relaxed than in a formal interview. Mine really focussed around why law/ why me/ why NRF and I think I was briefly asked about something I'd mentioned in my application as a follow-up type question. The telephone interview isn't particularly long though (maybe 20-25 minutes?) and the Grad Rec team who take them are lovely. Wishing you the very best of luck!

In terms of technique for a telephone interview, I actually tended to find them more challenging than in-person or even video interviews because there is no way of gauging your audience through facial expressions or body language. I would, however, take advantage of the fact that the same can be said for you by having easy-to-read notes in front of you giving bullet points for key answers. I would avoid having a full script, however, as it is patently obvious when one is being used and rarely comes off well. As for the general approach, some 'rules' of interviewing stay the same regardless of the medium of the interview: have a glass of water handy so you don't choke up, acknowledge the question immediately and in such a way that it gives you a couple of seconds to consider your answer before starting to speak- if necessary, filibuster for a couple of seconds before answering if you're really struggling but try to avoid this if at all possible. Listen carefully to questions and ensure you answer all components of the question- this is especially important if there are multiple parts to a question. Ensure that any questions you ask at the end are tailored to who is interviewing you: my NRF telephone interview was led by one of the Grad Rec team, for example, so I didn't ask a question that would be more suited to a fee-earner or lawyer in its substantive content.

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020
    Have you had an email scheduling yours yet? :)
    I got mine about an hour after I received the initial email and it was just a link to their application portal. You could try logging in and see if there's anything under the "interview" tab in case you missed the email but when I had my interview, grad rec said they'd be doing interviews until January 11 so I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're probably just sending out the interview links in batches to make it easier

Reactions: M1999

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I got mine about an hour after I received the initial email and it was just a link to their application portal. You could try logging in and see if there's anything under the "interview" tab in case you missed the email but when I had my interview, grad rec said they'd be doing interviews until January 11 so I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're probably just sending out the interview links in batches to make it easier
    Thank you, yes that would make sense

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020
    You had your interview? That is very quick! Did they give you a lot of notice?
    I had mine on Thursday as well but you can choose which day to have yours on, they give you a list of available dates and times so you can go with one that's a little further back if you need more time to prep. I chose to have mine early because I thought they were giving AC offers on a rolling basis but the person interviewing me said they would wait until everyone had been interviewed before they made any decisions so just a heads up in case you're worried about having it too late or anything!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    I had mine on Thursday as well but you can choose which day to have yours on, they give you a list of available dates and times so you can go with one that's a little further back if you need more time to prep. I chose to have mine early because I thought they were giving AC offers on a rolling basis but the person interviewing me said they would wait until everyone had been interviewed before they made any decisions so just a heads up in case you're worried about having it too late or anything!
    Same reason I chose to have mine early :mad: Hope yours all went well! :)

Ellis Finch

Nov 16, 2020
    I only put down my mobile number on application, so they rang me on that. Did you put a preference on which you'd want to be contacted on? :)
    Ah, I put both. I don't currently have access to my landline, so I imagine they will ring my mobile when they can't reach me. I don't think there was an option for a preference. Oops! I might email GR tomorrow and tell them my preference. Thanks for the help :)

Reactions: Haz

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    Ah, I put both. I don't currently have access to my landline, so I imagine they will ring my mobile when they can't reach me. I don't think there was an option for a preference. Oops! I might email GR tomorrow and tell them my preference. Thanks for the help :)
    No problem! I wouldn't stress it either, I'm sure they'll just try your mobile, it must happen all the time! Best of luck for the interview :D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.