NOT A STELLAR ACADEMIC RECORD

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Have there been instances of students who don't have the required grades at A- levels, have a 2:1 at university but have lower grades in key modules like contract company torts, making it to Magic Circle law firms? If, barring my grades, I can absolutely show my worth in the rest of the application and with solid mitigating circumstances, do I have a shot?

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
If a firm requires AAB (or whatever) at A-Level, you pretty much have to have those grades unless you have mitigating circumstances.

University modules are firm dependant. There are some firms that place a significant amount of weight on them. Others are less interested.

If it helps, my first-year GPA was 63% and I secured 4 VS's (Could be 5! We'll see).

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
can you tell me what all youre using other than TCLA, I MEAN CAN YOU LIST OUT ALL THE RESOURCES YOU HAVE REFERRED TO TILL DATE- IM TALKING BOOKS WEBSITES BLOGS YOUTUBE CHANNELS EVERYTHING

There are more than enough resources on this website. Please read the forum, you will see commercial awareness guides, podcast lists, application advice... the only additional things you need to do are to attend open days to get a feel for the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Have there been instances of students who don't have the required grades at A- levels, have a 2:1 at university but have lower grades in key modules like contract company torts, making it to Magic Circle law firms? If, barring my grades, I can absolutely show my worth in the rest of the application and with solid mitigating circumstances, do I have a shot?

Not stellar A-level grades - yes plenty of them

Poor grades in Tort/contract - less likely but not impossible

The above people who then require a work permit - even less likely (in all honesty).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What about firms like CC which have no minimum A-level requirement?

not having a minimum A-level requirement does not mean they are still looking at A-level results.

Think all but one of the MC firms technically do not have a minimum A-level criteria (might now be all of them).

E.TX

Aug 1, 2019
Not stellar A-level grades - yes plenty of them

Poor grades in Tort/contract - less likely but not impossible

The above people who then require a work permit - even less likely (in all honesty).

Hi Jessica,

In addition to poor grades in tort/contract (but have a strong 2.1 overall) and those who require a work permit, I'd like to ask if you think there's a considerable chance of making to other city and regional firms?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

In addition to poor grades in tort/contract (but have a strong 2.1 overall) and those who require a work permit, I'd like to ask if you think there's a considerable chance of making to other city and regional firms?

Thank you in advance!

It is ultimately going to rest on a number of other factors, eg the details of your academics (not just a strong 2.1 but the individual modules, your A-level or equiv grades), and then weighed up alongside the rest of your application. But international students manage to achieve it with firms (as long as they sponsor), so there is no reason why not.

Reactions: Armiie

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018

Got CDE at A-Levels ten years ago. Then did an Access to HE Diploma and got the equivalent of AAA before going back to university. Got 55 in tort and 56 in company along with seven firsts and a 69 overall. Had interviews at A&O, Travers Smith, Reed Smith and Memery Crystal.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Got CDE at A-Levels ten years ago. Then did an Access to HE Diploma and got the equivalent of AAA before going back to university. Got 55 in tort and 56 in company along with seven firsts and a 69 overall. Had interviews at A&O, Travers Smith, Reed Smith and Memery Crystal.
wow its crazy then that people tried to discourage me from going back to school to show that I am academically capable. You have done amazing man

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.