Noticed a typo after submission

Emily Collett

Oct 15, 2019
Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone has ever noticed a typo after submission (+ the deadline has passed) and, if so, would it be absolutely crazy to contact grad rec or something? I put my blood sweat and tears into this application and I’d love for them to know that I’ve seen the error and recognise my mistake!!

Simone

Future Trainee
Nov 21, 2018
The same thing happened to me but I didn't email grad rec. It was a rather massive mistake (but in the work experience section) but I do not think it greatly disadvantaged me (I could have just been really luck) as I went on to receive a vac scheme offer from the firm!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    As did I...my first vacation scheme offer was from a firm that I'd spelt wrong throughout the whole of the application! (I got very lucky there.)

Personally, it's one-off/not obvious, I think you'd be okay to just leave it rather than drawing attention to it. I know it's very frustrating, but if the rest of the application is strong, I'd imagine they'll just be willing to overlook it.

@Jessica Booker might have some thoughts on this.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Emily Collett

Oct 15, 2019
    I typed a paragraph about my 'most proud achievement' (as the firm phrased it), then at the end of the paragraph I've typed out the word 'proudest' where I was testing spellcheck to see if it was a word!! On one hand it may not be the end of the world because it's not like I've shown a poor grasp on grammar or spelling, but it does seem very careless...

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    I typed a paragraph about my 'most proud achievement' (as the firm phrased it), then at the end of the paragraph I've typed out the word 'proudest' where I was testing spellcheck to see if it was a word!! On one hand it may not be the end of the world because it's not like I've shown a poor grasp on grammar or spelling, but it does seem very careless...

I wrote 'Count Court' rather than 'County Court' in my A&O application. Still got through. Don't worry about it, it is done now. No point drawing attention to it.

Reactions: Alice G and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I too have made small typo errors in previous apps and been invited to interviews and then a vacation scheme so I'd try not to worry if I were you @Emily Collett! Easier said than done I know... I'd also be curious to know your opinion on this @Jessica Booker? How would you view it if a candidate added a supplementary note to an app with the correction?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Don’t contact graduate recruitment about errors you have spotted.

1) your application is submitted, you can’t expect someone to change it (otherwise there’s an argument that people could just apply multiple times)

2) you’re creating more workload for the GR team

3) they might not even spot the error, let alone make it influence their decision

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Don’t contact graduate recruitment about errors you have spotted.

1) your application is submitted, you can expect someone to change it (otherwise there’s an argument that people could just apply multiple times)

2) you’re creating more workload for the GR team

3) they might not even spot the error, let alone make it influence their decision
    @Jessica Booker Could you clarify what you mean by points 1 & 2?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Could you clarify what you mean by points 1 & 2?

typo in 1) should say can’t (I’ll update).

2) any changes typically have to be made manually by the GR team once an application is submitted. So asking them to either amend/or take into consideration the error because you’ve noticed it, is causing them more work.

Last edited:

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone has ever noticed a typo after submission (+ the deadline has passed) and, if so, would it be absolutely crazy to contact grad rec or something? I put my blood sweat and tears into this application and I’d love for them to know that I’ve seen the error and recognise my mistake!!

yeah, just made a typo myself by saying 'practicising'!! I'm so frustrated about this myself, don't know why I sent the app like that. Hopefully, they will not spot it, the application is perfect apart from that!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I didn’t enter the postcode for my address on my submitted application (it was not a mandatory field on the form as it is my second address) - should I email grad rec about this or is it likely they might not notice?

Thank you :)

That’s not an error then, so it really doesn’t matter - just forget about it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: nina_123

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.