Online LPC & LPC vs LLM LPC

M Baluch

Dec 16, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm currently thinking about starting the application process for BPP's LPC course beginning in September 2023. Firstly, I wanted to ask whether anyone is aware of there being much of a difference between the LPC which is entirely online versus the 'in-person' LPC which has face-to-face group sessions, particularly in regard to attainment levels and whether law firms have a preference between the two. I am currently leaning towards the online LPC course as I will be self-funding the course and it is significantly cheaper to do online, though I am open to paying more for the in-person LPC if it is more advantageous.

Another question I had was regarding whether it would be worth doing the LLM LPC (12 month course) or rather whether I should just stick to the straight LPC (9 month course). I am currently studying an LLM in International Commercial Law at UCL, so I do wonder whether studying an 'LLM LPC' would be entirely pointless for me as someone who would at that point already have a traditional LLM & does not need to meet SFE post-grad funding requirements. But I am curious as to whether anyone thinks it is worthwhile studying those extra three months for an LLM LPC anyway as the course costs the same regardless of whether you take the LLM modules or not.

Thank you for your advice in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I encourage anyone thinking of doing the LPC to weigh up very carefully whether it is worthwhile doing if the firms they are thinking of applying to have already moved to the SQE qualification model in either 2024 or 2025.

Doing the SQE rather than the LPC could be less expensive, more time efficient. You could find out that you have to do the SQE anyway.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
If you decide to do the LPC rather than SQE (see other post above), I would not bother with the extra LLM part and just do the LPC without it unless you need it for funding reasons. I don't know what the online LPC is like but if you attend all theonline sessions you will probably do just as well as the in person LPC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.