Online vs in-person LPC at BPP

Sergiulix

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Hi everyone!

I have just been offered the opportunity by the firm that I am going to be training at to do the LPC online. Unfortunately, I have a very serious family health problem that I could much more easily manage with the LPC online (my family lives in mainland Europe).

Whilst I have received this confirmation, I am still wondering whether it is the right decision. My question is: to what extent will I miss out on the in-person experience? Is the live LPC a much better way to make new friends? Will it also be tougher in terms of absorbing the information? My main fear is that an online LPC doesn't allow you to get 'immersed' into the London legal environment as well as the in-person one.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

Reactions: jo123

Hani

Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 22, 2020
Hi everyone!

I have just been offered the opportunity by the firm that I am going to be training at to do the LPC online. Unfortunately, I have a very serious family health problem that I could much more easily manage with the LPC online (my family lives in mainland Europe).

Whilst I have received this confirmation, I am still wondering whether it is the right decision. My question is: to what extent will I miss out on the in-person experience? Is the live LPC a much better way to make new friends? Will it also be tougher in terms of absorbing the information? My main fear is that an online LPC doesn't allow you to get 'immersed' into the London legal environment as well as the in-person one.

Thank you!
Hi, I am stuck on whether to do online or in person too. I enjoyed online for my last year of uni and it is cheaper to do it online at BPP. If you chose online, was it good and the same quality of teaching as in person? Also would you recommend the online LPC?

Hani

Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 22, 2020
Hi, I am stuck on whether to do online or in person too. I enjoyed online for my last year of uni and it is cheaper to do it online at BPP. If you chose online, was it good and the same quality of teaching as in person? Also would you recommend the online LPC?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
My twins did the BPP PGDL entirely online (due to covid) and never met anyone else on the course. They are doing the BPP LPC in person this year and know the people in their group. However they have a friend doing it 100% online and that seems to be going fine. It is not the sort of thing like going to university at 18 where you go to make lots of new friends particularly so I think it does not matter either way. I quite like the idea they are going in two days a week for in person seminars but many people manage an online LPC perfectly well too. It sounds like Sergiulix has family reasons to take the course on line so that should be fine. I have no information on pass rates depending on whether people do it on line or not. I would just say if you do do it online make sure you do do all the work which is set.

Last edited:

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
I’m currently doing the LPC in person, in ULaw you only go in twice a week, one morning and one afternoon. I don’t think doing it in person immerses you into the legal industry.

Socially, i think it depends how lucky you are with your workshops groups or if you’re with a firm, your in-take. A few workshop groups seem to do the pub trips and lunches. Whereas others seem to go to the workshops and then straight home.

If you have family commitments etc, I honestly don’t think there is huge in-person experience that you’d be missing out on.

Reactions: Alison C

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Based on my experience on the PGDL (which I am assuming would be similar to the LPC although someone can correct me if I'm wrong), my guess is that the main thing you will miss out on is the potential of making friends which is nowhere near as big a deal as it is at university. Sure, I have made a couple good friends but this would not be a reason to neglect an important family reason as you have mentioned. As far as getting 'immersed' in the London legal environment goes, a couple more friends who are lawyers are the only thing I think you're missing out on!

I have heard anecdotal stories about people struggling to understand online workshops, but to be honest, I think that the strength of a workshop boils down entirely to who the teacher is and even then, you should be able to understand the material fairly well from the provided materials. Perhaps the issue is that it is easier not to pay attention fully in an online workshop, or there is less pressure to prepare to the same extent 🤣

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.