Open Day Application Question?

geographytolaw

Oct 1, 2020
I am currently in the process of applying for an open day. The first question on the application is:

Why you would like to attend an Insight day and learn more about our firm? (200 words)

I have explained why that firm specifically and what I can gain from the open day. However, the next question has left me stumped with how to approach it.

Please provide any further information about yourself that is relevant to your application (200 words max)*

What are they looking for in this answer?

Reactions: Anna W

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am currently in the process of applying for an open day. The first question on the application is:

Why you would like to attend an Insight day and learn more about our firm? (200 words)

I have explained why that firm specifically and what I can gain from the open day. However, the next question has left me stumped with how to approach it.

Please provide any further information about yourself that is relevant to your application (200 words max)*

What are they looking for in this answer?

is just an opportunity to explain anything that you think is relevant about you and your application that you haven’t been able to fit into other parts of the application.

See it as another opportunity to sell yourself or to clarify something that isn’t clear from the other information you could provide

aspiring_solicitor

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
I am applying for Herbert smith freehills innovation open day and there is only one question to be answered “Please explain how you think you would be able to benefit from attending this open day?”
how should I approach this question like how should I start it and also it is good with dispute resolution so should I start with my role as a case manager in an online Dispute resolution platform and then go on about the steps taken by firm towards innovation in this field and that I would learn about the same.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am applying for Herbert smith freehills innovation open day and there is only one question to be answered “Please explain how you think you would be able to benefit from attending this open day?”
how should I approach this question like how should I start it and also it is good with dispute resolution so should I start with my role as a case manager in an online Dispute resolution platform and then go on about the steps taken by firm towards innovation in this field and that I would learn about the same.
I’m not convinced you would be answering the question by taking the approach you are suggesting. You just need to focus on the question - ultimately what benefits will you gain from attending the open day.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Personally I would maybe explain what you like about the firm from your own research and then mention things that you would like to learn at the open day etc. Could link some things about you as to why you're interested in specific practice areas/trainee intake/international scope etc :)

Reactions: aspiring_solicitor

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.