Open Day Applications

CallumJR

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020
Hello

I wanted to ask if you hanve any advice for writing open day applications. Most applications for open days consist of a questions around the lines: "Why are you applying for an Open Day?"

I dont know what graduate recruitment want to hear. Do you talk about your skills / Do you show firm knowledge / Do you show commercial awareness?

Really no idea and all my open day applications so far have been rejected :(

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hello

I wanted to ask if you hanve any advice for writing open day applications. Most applications for open days consist of a questions around the lines: "Why are you applying for an Open Day?"

I dont know what graduate recruitment want to hear. Do you talk about your skills / Do you show firm knowledge / Do you show commercial awareness?

Really no idea and all my open day applications so far have been rejected :(
Hi there :)

I’d try not to overthink this but genuinely just tell them precisely what it is you would like to know. I would try not to be too general and try to root this in the firm itself by doing some research and stating what you’d like to know more about/develop your understanding of.

authenticity tends to be best with these things so just try to dig deep and really think about what you’d like to know and gain from the experience :)

Reactions: CallumJR

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
As Alice said, don't overthink it.

I think the point is to highlight what you want to learn about the firm that you can't find online. Demonstrate specific things you know about them (eg main practice areas, their strategy, training), what that's made you curious about, and why an open day would resolve the question.

Personally I don't think demonstrating any skills is necessary at this stage, at this point it's about getting to know the firm and the people in it. I've definitely written successful open day applications without any commercial awareness, but it can't hurt to throw some in, especially if it is genuine.

Reactions: NadineBusty and Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.