Osborne clarke vs question

liam bint

Standard Member
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2020
How is Osborne Clarke different from the other firms to which you have applied? (250 words max)

Would this question require just acknowledging the reasons why OC is different or the reasons why this appeals to me also?

Also if anyone has experience with OC, what is different about the firm that appealed to you? I have mentioned their sector focused approach, and training but cannot find much else
Thank you :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    How is Osborne Clarke different from the other firms to which you have applied? (250 words max)

Would this question require just acknowledging the reasons why OC is different or the reasons why this appeals to me also?

Also if anyone has experience with OC, what is different about the firm that appealed to you? I have mentioned their sector focused approach, and training but cannot find much else
    Thank you :)

Hi Liam,

For this question, I'd generally focus on why Osborne Clarke is different from other firms you have applied to. If it feels natural to make a brief reference to why you are applying, that's okay - although I recall there is a separate question for this.

I secured a training contract with Osborne Clarke back in the day. I also focused on the sector-focused approach, as well as my interest in particular practice areas, and the firm's particular international approach. That's not going to be too useful to you though because you want your reasons to be personal to you.

I'd suggest you continue to dig until you find out what aspects of Osborne Clarke connect with you the most.

Reactions: Alice G

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hey guys!

Please could someone help me with this question-

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*

The questions seems to be asking two things- i)Why OC? and ii)What skills have you developed from your hobbies/interests?
    But does my answer to each of these need to be linked- I'm confused that these two have been combined. 'Within your answer' would suggest that your answers needs to be linked (i.e. the skill you have developed from 'x interest/hobby' has led to or has followed from your interest in 'y' which is a reason for why you want to apply to OC)?

If they are linked, then talking about hobbies would be difficult- e.g. one of my hobbies is playing football and the skills I have developed from this are teamwork etc, but can't really link this to 'Why OC'.

j2134

Star Member
    May 6, 2020
    Hey guys!

Please could someone help me with this question-

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your skills through your hobbies and interests. (500 words max)*

The questions seems to be asking two things- i)Why OC? and ii)What skills have you developed from your hobbies/interests?
    But does my answer to each of these need to be linked- I'm confused that these two have been combined. 'Within your answer' would suggest that your answers needs to be linked (i.e. the skill you have developed from 'x interest/hobby' has led to or has followed from your interest in 'y' which is a reason for why you want to apply to OC)?

If they are linked, then talking about hobbies would be difficult- e.g. one of my hobbies is playing football and the skills I have developed from this are teamwork etc, but can't really link this to 'Why OC'.

I also thought this, and then decided not to link them. However, do you think the question is also asking you to explain your decision for choosing commercial law as a career path? ("Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law" not simply "why Osborne Clarke")

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Hi Liam,

For this question, I'd generally focus on why Osborne Clarke is different from other firms you have applied to. If it feels natural to make a brief reference to why you are applying, that's okay - although I recall there is a separate question for this.

I secured a training contract with Osborne Clarke back in the day. I also focused on the sector-focused approach, as well as my interest in particular practice areas, and the firm's particular international approach. That's not going to be too useful to you though because you want your reasons to be personal to you.

I'd suggest you continue to dig until you find out what aspects of Osborne Clarke connect with you the most.

Hi, Jaysen, I'm currently trying to answer this question and struggling a bit to find some differences. I was also wanting to mention the sector focus which is unique but one of the main reasons I'm interested in OC is their strengths in IP/tech/life sciences but this is also the main reason I've applied to some other firms as well. Or am i taking the question too literally? Is the questions just asking why I'm applying to OC/what makes it stand out rather than literally asking why its different to the firms I personally have applied to? Thanks for your help!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi, Jaysen, I'm currently trying to answer this question and struggling a bit to find some differences. I was also wanting to mention the sector focus which is unique but one of the main reasons I'm interested in OC is their strengths in IP/tech/life sciences but this is also the main reason I've applied to some other firms as well. Or am i taking the question too literally? Is the questions just asking why I'm applying to OC/what makes it stand out rather than literally asking why its different to the firms I personally have applied to? Thanks for your help!

Yep your latter point is exactly right. This question is just looking for you to demonstrate that you understand what makes Osborne Clarke stand out compared to other firms (and therefore alluding to why you are applying to Osborne Clarke). I think the reasons you have mentioned sound specific enough (presumably also, not all of the firms have a strong sector focus).

If you want to go even further, you might want to think about what makes Osborne Clarke even more unique. E.g. if other firms you applied to are also good at IP/tech/life sciences, is there something that stands Osborne Clarke out here? Perhaps the type of deals it works on and clients it represents? Or perhaps the fact that it is equally strong across these practice areas?

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Yep your latter point is exactly right. This question is just looking for you to demonstrate that you understand what makes Osborne Clarke stand out compared to other firms (and therefore alluding to why you are applying to Osborne Clarke). I think the reasons you have mentioned sound specific enough (presumably also, not all of the firms have a strong sector focus).

If you want to go even further, you might want to think about what makes Osborne Clarke even more unique. E.g. if other firms you applied to are also good at IP/tech/life sciences, is there something that stands Osborne Clarke out here? Perhaps the type of deals it works on and clients it represents? Or perhaps the fact that it is equally strong across these practice areas?

ah great, thats cleared things up! and your second point is really helpful as well, thank you so much for the advice!

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    Hi Liam,

Hi Jaysen, can I ask what you meant by the firm's particular international approach?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.