Overall 2:1 but inconsistent modules? Magic Circle out of the question?

Katie_H_22

Standard Member
Jan 20, 2023
I was hoping to secure a TC at either a Magic Circle, Silver Circle or possibly a US firm (perhaps the latter will be a bit out of reach for me).

I graduated in modern languages from Oxbridge (don't want to say which; want to remain fairly anonymous). In my first year, I secured a first and won a prize, but in the other two years of my degree, I got a 2:1 average (65 or 66), but with inconsistent module marks, like this:

The lower marks were in Italian oral and translation exams. My final degree class was 2:1 (65.7), with one high first module.

Would I still be a viable candidate for a Magic Circle or US TC? I know that some of the toughest US firms (e.g. Cleary) would probably be out of the question.

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't think this will be an issue to apply to most of the firms in the categories you have mentioned. A few that really emphasise exceptional academics might be out of the question, but even then I think it could still be a possibility.

Katie_H_22

Standard Member
Jan 20, 2023
I don't think this will be an issue to apply to most of the firms in the categories you have mentioned. A few that really emphasise exceptional academics might be out of the question, but even then I think it could still be a possibility.
Thank you....which firms really stress exceptional academics? I know Slaughter & May scrutinise module marks, Clearly Gottlieb ask for a 'high 2:1' and want 'overall exceptional' (or words to that effect) academics, probably also Debevoise & Plimpton?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you....which firms really stress exceptional academics? I know Slaughter & May scrutinise module marks, Clearly Gottlieb ask for a 'high 2:1' and want 'overall exceptional' (or words to that effect) academics, probably also Debevoise & Plimpton?
I don’t know the specifics unfortunately - but I would just check the tone and language they use on their website when describing what they look for in candidates

Reactions: Katie_H_22

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    I know that Latham, Davis Polk, S&C alongside Debevoise and Cleary emphasise high 2:1s and really nothing below a 2:1.

Katie_H_22

Standard Member
    Jan 20, 2023
    A friend of mine got into S&M with an Oxbridge low first and with a few modules in the 50s, if that's any help :)

I got a VS at a US firm last year with a low 2.1 from Oxbridge (again modules all over the place, and with mitigating circumstances that I didn't really explain well!).
    That's refreshing to know; I got a good 2:1 with sporadic module marks. Scrolling Linkedin and seeing lots of Clifford Chance trainees with firsts was discouraging me from applying.

Although I did have an ongoing medical issue during my final year at uni, I didn't officially declare this (although our college nurse knew of it, that's not 'official' or anything).....Also, did your friend have impressive work experience or extra curriculars? I don't - which is my other concern. If I'd been the head of a sports team or society, or had interned at an investment bank, I'd feel more confident.

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm curious: by high 2:1, do Cleary mean 65+ or 67+? I know they're probably looking for those people who just missed their first, and got 68/69 overall.
    Honestly idk, I think probably 68/69 but that shouldn't stop you from applying lol. FYI I had like a 72 in first and second year at a midlands RG uni and interviewed with S&C and DPW so I guess a mid/high 2:1 from oxbridge is good! It really is more important to show a genuine interest in the firm and its work!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.