Overseas graduate + UK LLM: Do I have any chance of getting a Vacation Scheme?

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2021
Hi!

I am posting here because I am hoping to get honest opinions on my chances of getting a Vacation Scheme in London this year. Being a bit of an outsider, it is quite hard for me to estimate whether it is worth the effort at all. Also quite hard to figure out how my education would be evaluated.

My background:
  • I have been educated in Switzerland and followed the traditional state school route there, for the equivalent of GCSEs and A-levels, both with results averages of 5 out of 6, which equals 75% according to Wikipedia.
  • I have graduated from a law degree in Switzerland (Civil Law Jurisdiction) with an average of 5 out of 6 as well, which would count as a 2:1. I have then spent a year doing a Master's Degree in Switzerland as well, one of my module was an introduction to Common Law.
  • I have now just finished an LLM in London at KCL. So far I received the grades for 4 modules out of 6 and they were all above 70.
  • I have short term legal experiences in Switzerland, but not in the UK.
  • I have been part of different committees in students associations back home, and worked for the Law Clinic of my uni when I was in London.
  • I am fluent in English, French and German, and can converse in Italian.
I would say that from my experience and what I hear around me (impossible to find proper evidence of that obviously...), education in general and the undergraduate law degree is harder and more demanding in Switzerland than the UK. Additionally, I doubt that Rare Contextualized Recruitment would be of any help to me.

I plan on applying to plenty of city law firms as well as US based, for a vacation scheme in London, with the goal of qualifying as a solicitor there. I would estimate that I score average in SJTs and excellent in Watson Glaser type of assessments.

If I was invited to a Vacation Scheme, I would (obv) do everything in my power to convert it into a Training Contract and I would then study the SQE. I would need the firm to sponsor me and provide work permit during the training contract.

Given all of that, and assuming that I send out ~25 well researched applications (I have a lot of time on my hands right now), is there any chance for me to be successful somewhere?

Thank you for reading ☀️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Based on what you have said above, there is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't have a good chance at securing a TC..

Vacation schemes could be more tricky as you will need the right to work in the UK (which I am assuming you will only have for the next 2-3 months on your student visa). However, this would easily be resolved if you got your graduate visa.

Reactions: AvniD

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
Hi!

I am posting here because I am hoping to get honest opinions on my chances of getting a Vacation Scheme in London this year. Being a bit of an outsider, it is quite hard for me to estimate whether it is worth the effort at all. Also quite hard to figure out how my education would be evaluated.

My background:
  • I have been educated in Switzerland and followed the traditional state school route there, for the equivalent of GCSEs and A-levels, both with results averages of 5 out of 6, which equals 75% according to Wikipedia.
  • I have graduated from a law degree in Switzerland (Civil Law Jurisdiction) with an average of 5 out of 6 as well, which would count as a 2:1. I have then spent a year doing a Master's Degree in Switzerland as well, one of my module was an introduction to Common Law.
  • I have now just finished an LLM in London at KCL. So far I received the grades for 4 modules out of 6 and they were all above 70.
  • I have short term legal experiences in Switzerland, but not in the UK.
  • I have been part of different committees in students associations back home, and worked for the Law Clinic of my uni when I was in London.
  • I am fluent in English, French and German, and can converse in Italian.
I would say that from my experience and what I hear around me (impossible to find proper evidence of that obviously...), education in general and the undergraduate law degree is harder and more demanding in Switzerland than the UK. Additionally, I doubt that Rare Contextualized Recruitment would be of any help to me.

I plan on applying to plenty of city law firms as well as US based, for a vacation scheme in London, with the goal of qualifying as a solicitor there. I would estimate that I score average in SJTs and excellent in Watson Glaser type of assessments.

If I was invited to a Vacation Scheme, I would (obv) do everything in my power to convert it into a Training Contract and I would then study the SQE. I would need the firm to sponsor me and provide work permit during the training contract.

Given all of that, and assuming that I send out ~25 well researched applications (I have a lot of time on my hands right now), is there any chance for me to be successful somewhere?

Thank you for reading ☀️
On paper you'll be a strong candidate, but it'll ultimately come down to the quality of your written application, your ability to perform in interviews/cases studies and the experiences that you have at your disposal to articulate your fit/competencies.

Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.