Owning the Pitch: Newcastle United Football Club Takeover Deal

Date
13 October 2021

JordanEmery98

• Dec 2, 2021
    The Newcastle United takeover has been one of the most interesting sporting stories that has come off the pitch this year. How the saga has collided geo-politics, human rights, sovereign wealth funds and a polarising businessman with a proud and historic football club, from the north-east of England, makes the story all the more fascinating. I doubt many Newcastle fans would have envisioned the new state of their club, even when Alan Shearer was in his prime.

From a would-be corporate lawyer’s point of view, this enthralling collision is a helpful way to begin to engage with commercial matters. If you're interested in seeing the structures of the entities involved, this might be helpful: https://www.structureflow.co/structure-corner-spotlight-football-takeovers/ It also looks at Man United and Man City’s ownership structures, for those of you that are unfortunate to support the former, and the few of you that support the latter.

As a Leicester fan I will go back to my memories of Captain Morgan and the Great Claudio lifting the Premier League Trophy in a raucous King Power Stadium. We proved that it doesn’t need money just a team that works hard for one and other (having the greatest striker to ever grace a pitch also helps I guess – we love you Vardy!).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.