Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey All,

You may believe there is just one path into law, one way to secure a training contract, one opportunity to make things count.

But that’s not true. Once you learn how to cultivate genuine relationships, you soon realise how many doors are available to you.

Real Examples Of The Emails That Led To Work Experience And Mentorship​

In our next session on the Premium Academy, we’re joined by Bernie Rivard to break down:
    • The key mindset to building relationship capital
    • What giving and receiving value looks like
    • How to conquer networking events
    • How to gain a mentor (or five)!
    • Tools to track your investments in your network
    You’ll see the actual messages and emails that led to work experience, brand building opportunities and mentors, and come away with the tools to build quality relationships throughout your legal career.

Bernie Rivard graduated from KCL Law in 2021 and just concluded his LPC at BPP University. Alongside his Training Contract at Travers Smith commencing this September, Bernie is a member of the ‘O Shaped Lawyer’ project and mentors aspiring lawyers across the UK.

I'm really excited for this one: I've had a look at the slides and the content is more specific and detailed than any networking presentation I've been to.

Weekly Drop In Session - Wednesdays at 5:30pm​

We want to make sure you have face time with the team to get your questions answered. Tomorrow at 5:30pm, you can join this weekly drop in at 5:30pm and ask a member of the TCLA team any questions about the training contract process, from standing on in your applications to securing your next training contract.

How Do I Sign Up?​

Simply join us on TCLA Premium and find the links in the TCLA Premium Forum.

Get A Free Subscription To Premium​

Once again, we're also giving one free premium subscription away today. All you have to do is share your best networking tip in this thread and we'll select one winner at 4pm.

We'll be running this giveaway each week, so don't worry if you don't win this time!

Reactions: AvniD

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    The best piece of networking advice I received was Start a conversation with a question. So when I was at this networking event at Freshfields 2 weeks ago and was speaking someone from the Law Society. We were just talking and networking then he told me that the best way to start a conversation with someone at a networking event is give them a question with 2 options and whatever answer they pick then make that answer the top of the discussion. Let me give you an example so you ask someone do you like Allen and Overy or Clifford and this way whatever answer they choose then you make their answer the topic of discussion.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The best piece of networking advice I received was Start a conversation with a question. So when I was at this networking event at Freshfields 2 weeks ago and was speaking someone from the Law Society. We were just talking and networking then he told me that the best way to start a conversation with someone at a networking event is give them a question with 2 options and whatever answer they pick then make that answer the top of the discussion. Let me give you an example so you ask someone do you like Allen and Overy or Clifford and this way whatever answer they choose then you make their answer the topic of discussion.
    Congratulations @Asil Ahmad for winning this week! I will drop you a message :)

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    My top networking tip is to link your outreach to a connecting factor - be that an event you attended with this person as a speaker, a common educational background, or a shared interest (such as their practice area). I find that when I connect with someone right away after a workshop/event with a personalised message, it’s much easier to drop back into their LinkedIn inbox later on with a question because of a shared link.

And I always remind myself that the worst thing I can be told is no! It’s better to reach out and try all avenues than to reject the possible outcome of your networking beforehand - people are more willing to help than you’d think!

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.