Typical type of questions that could come up:

Examples of when you have demonstrated:

- attention to detail
- ability to focus on a lot of information or complex information
- time management skills/conflicting priorities
- determination to succeed/self-drive
- dealing with the mundane and how to stay motivated

Also they may want to ask:
- why you are specifically interested in that role - e.g. why that department/practice area and why the firm. Paralegals can have ridiculously high turn over, they will want to be confident that you will stick the contract out
- what your longer term career goals are - linked to the above, they don't want to hear there is a chance you could drop them quickly for a TC opportunity

Also look at the firms values. That may give you an indication of the "character" they are looking to recruit into their organisation and may also give you some indication of quesitons that could ask (because they want to see you showcase those values).

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019

- attention to detail

- why you are specifically interested in that role - e.g. why that department/practice area and why the firm. Paralegals can have ridiculously high turn over, they will want to be confident that you will stick the contract out
- what your longer term career goals are - linked to the above, they don't want to hear there is a chance you could drop them quickly for a TC opportunity

Also look at the firms values. That may give you an indication of the "character" they are looking to recruit into their organisation and may also give you some indication of quesitons that could ask (because they want to see you showcase those values).
Thank you for all this, this is very very helpful indeed!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

- attention to detail

When you are answering these questions should you use STAR or CAR or that is not needed for answering these questions @Jessica Booker as I got a paralegal interview coming up on Monday.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When you are answering these questions should you use STAR or CAR or that is not needed for answering these questions @Jessica Booker as I got a paralegal interview coming up on Monday.
    Only if they are competency questions (eg the first section of questions in my post).

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for this and they did not say what type of interview so shall I assume it will be competency-based interview.
    I don’t think you can assume it will be competency based. It might not be (they may just ask you to talk through your CV/it could be strengths based) but it’s more likely to be competency based. I would ask the recruiter you spoke to to see if you can get any further insight on how to prepare.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I don’t think you can assume it will be competency based. It might not be (they may just ask you to talk through your CV/it could be strengths based) but it’s more likely to be competency based. I would ask the recruiter you spoke to to see if you can get any further insight on how to prepare.
    Thank you very much will do that.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.