Part-time/full-time online MA Law (SQE1) – University of Law

W5690

Nov 4, 2019
Hi,

Have any of you enrolled in the part-time or the full-time online MA Law (SQE1) with the University of Law? If so, in general terms, what are your thoughts on the course?

Would you have any general and/or specific recommendations to provide in terms of studying for the MA Law (SQE1) and preparing for the exams?

Could you please let me know about the balance between the teaching of the English legal system and constitutional law (including retained EU law), contract law, tort law, etc and the preparation for the SQE1? Are those really balanced or is the priority given to the foundational legal knowledge in-depth (English legal system and constitutional law (including retained EU law), contract law, tort law, etc) over the preparation for the SQE1?

Furthermore, I am planning to do some pre-course reading – would you recommend doing so? I noticed that the University of Law's website states that "The English Legal System & Constitutional Law (including Retained EU Law) module requires 25 hours of pre-course study, through guided units with all materials provided online."

I would like to add that I am aware of the fact that completing a qualifying law degree or a conversion law course is no longer a regulatory requirement by the SRA. However, some firms still expect trainees to have completed a qualifying law degree or a law conversion course prior to taking the SQE.

Thank you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25207

Hi,

Have any of you enrolled in the part-time or the full-time online MA Law (SQE1) with the University of Law? If so, in general terms, what are your thoughts on the course?

Would you have any general and/or specific recommendations to provide in terms of studying for the MA Law (SQE1) and preparing for the exams?

Could you please let me know about the balance between the teaching of the English legal system and constitutional law (including retained EU law), contract law, tort law, etc and the preparation for the SQE1? Are those really balanced or is the priority given to the foundational legal knowledge in-depth (English legal system and constitutional law (including retained EU law), contract law, tort law, etc) over the preparation for the SQE1?

Furthermore, I am planning to do some pre-course reading – would you recommend doing so? I noticed that the University of Law's website states that "The English Legal System & Constitutional Law (including Retained EU Law) module requires 25 hours of pre-course study, through guided units with all materials provided online."

I would like to add that I am aware of the fact that completing a qualifying law degree or a conversion law course is no longer a regulatory requirement by the SRA. However, some firms still expect trainees to have completed a qualifying law degree or a law conversion course prior to taking the SQE.

Thank you.

Hi, I've been wondering the same.. would you mind sharing a bit about the course organisation, timetabling and indicative study hours once you've enrolled? Tried DMing you but was unable to as I think you've set your profile to restricted. Thanks in advance!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.