Paul Hastings Interview 2021

Elizabeth K

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 6, 2021
Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

September 2021

Please specify what the interview was for.

Training Contract 2023

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

1-hour interview (video call) with one Partner and the Head of Talent Management

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

General focus on competency questions, particularly with respect to my year abroad and work experience. Very little time was spent discussing academic credentials or legal knowledge. The first-round interview began with a 'so tell us about yourself' icebreaker, and the conversation was dynamic thereafter.

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

The interviewers had my application form to hand and had clearly read it carefully - you must know it inside out and be prepared to discuss anything within. I think the candidate can really set the tone here - the interview will only be tense if you come across as really nervous. Be confident, and show your personality. I spent most of my time discussing my year abroad and my work experience, but I got the impression that the interviewers just wanted to get a feel for my personality and fit. We didn't discuss law at all really, except for when I was asked about the topic and findings of my recent LLM.

Were you successful?

Yes

Elizabeth K

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 6, 2021
Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

September 2021

Please specify what the interview was for.

Training Contract 2023

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

1300-1330 arrival and office tour
1330-1500 written task
1500-1530 break
1530-1645 interview with two Partners

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

1) Written Assessment
The written assessment asked me to summarise a legal document. I was provided with a printout of the document, along with further instructions, stationery and a laptop to type my answer.

2) Interview
The final-round interview was with two partners, the Training Partner and another. The Training Partner did have a handful of standardised questions that he asked, but the majority of the conversation was free-flowing and followed my answers/subject matter. This interview was noticeably tougher than the first round - the partners wanted to see if I actually understood the business, and how I structured my thoughts. There was a focus on competency questions, and lots of follow-up questions on the commercial (awareness) implications.

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

1) Written Assessment
Although I had plenty of time, I would advise candidates not to write anything for at least 10/15 minutes - it is far easier to type/write quickly than it is to think and analyse a lengthy document last-minute. Resources on the LPC Writing Assessment would serve as useful revision for this task, particularly the structure/form of a legal letter.

2) Interview
The second Partner swapped in for an Associate last-minute, so be prepared for your research on your second interviewer to go out the window! There was a focus on competency questions, but the Partners drilled in deeper - lots of 'why?/how?/are you sure?' responses, and commercial awareness follow-ons. The key here I think is to be confident and to 'stick with your guns' under pressure - you cannot be 'wrong' per se, but I got the impression that the interviewers were more interested in testing my conviction than the actual merit of my point. This followed a 'tell us about a current affairs topic that interests you' question, so choose carefully - if, for example, you mention interest rates/inflation/FX make sure you know enough to discuss these in serious detail.

Were you successful?

Yes

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.