Penultimate year non-law - What to do?

Interested_In_Law

Sep 21, 2022
What do I do…

I’m a 3rd year (out of 4 years) languages student at Cambridge, and I’m wondering how to best use this year for my career goals.

I would really like to apply to a high performing law firm, eg Magic circle/US law/Silver circle. I’m really keen on international work and complex cases. Also, one of my key requirements is solid financial support to help me with cost of living during GDL + SQE. I can’t self fund either of these and I also would need a maintenance grant that is actually going to get me through living in London as I will have no help at all from my parents. These firms are, as far as I know, the only ones that will really substantially help students during this period.

But I’m not sure I make the cut. Admittedly I’ve only received one full on rejection (from A&O), but it’s early stages and I also have tried plenty of first year scheme applications before to no avail.

Grades wise I think I am fine. I have received a mid 2.1 both years and three A* at A-level… but I’m doing a languages degree and I have done very little to prove an interest in law so far. I have been somewhat ignoring my career goals and it’s only now, on a (non-legal) internship for my year abroad, that I’m realising how much of a mistake that has been.

I do have one week of work experience at a law firm in 2019, but since then it’s just been attending virtual talks, nothing that I feel could substantially support my application.

Should I keep applying for vacation schemes this year in case I might get somewhere? Or would it be a better use of my time to focus on getting as much other stuff to puff out my CV as possible, and only try to get a vac scheme in final year? If so, what sort of thing could I do virtually on my year abroad?

Thank you!! :))

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would start applying to some open days and insight programmes and consider completing 1-2 virtual internships on places like Forage to help build out your interest in law and show evidence of your pursuit of a career.

You should apply to any schemes you are eligible for this year but be mindful you may find you also have to apply to vacation schemes in your final year too.

Reactions: Interested_In_Law

Interested_In_Law

Sep 21, 2022
I would start applying to some open days and insight programmes and consider completing 1-2 virtual internships on places like Forage to help build out your interest in law and show evidence of your pursuit of a career.

You should apply to any schemes you are eligible for this year but be mindful you may find you also have to apply to vacation schemes in your final year too.
Thank you! I have done one forage scheme for Slaughter and May which was quite good so yeah might continue with that alongside open days + some applications for now.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.