PGDL at BPP is awful

shadow-demon

Star Member
May 9, 2021
I really did not see the point of closing the thread and then saying that we could open another one if we wanted to continue our discussion? I do not think it is fair to prevent people from responding to the posts that were made. At least give the chance for people to respond when they are being addressed, and allow them to explain themselves. It really feels like BPP have some hold over this website, as whenever there is criticism against them, the same people are always defending them. I really think that if you have not gone to BPP, you really cannot comment on the situation. I think that is what is causing a lot of the frustration. You really needed to sit the PGDL with them, especially this year, to really comprehend the gravity of the situation. I posted 24 headlines in the previous thread about the scandals BPP have been involved in the last 3 years, that really should say it all!

I am starting this thread (again) mainly to allow freedom of speech to continue, alongside not allowing BPP to win and have our opinions and views silenced. I appreciate things got a little heated in the previous thread between some members. However, I think it is counter-productive to lock a thread which prevents a person from responding. Moreover, it would be more productive to help a person see where they have gone wrong in their reasoning or in the way they expressed it, rather than to tell them off like a teacher, and then lock the thread which didn't seem like the best way to deal with the situation.

I also believe it was unfair "Max Power" failed to address the main issues that have been discussed in the previous thread, and only gave an account of his own experience which I do not believe is reflective of the wider cohort. I am glad you had such a great time, but at least address the points that have been raised. Nobody mentioned anything about a statute book? Why on earth would you need one for the PGDL exams anyway? You can just save the statutes you need on your laptop and use them in the exam. We were talking about study materials and textbooks which we were promised. I don't care if law firms are going paperless. I really think you have been drinking too much of the BPP cool aid.

As someone that got high distinctions in all the first term modules, BPP does not give you all the tools to get a distinction. I and others in my class had to work everything out for ourselves to succeed. This is further emphasised by the high amount of people that failed modules, which suggests BPP do not give you the tools to get a distinction. I also find it disappointing that you would assume we all have 2.1s. A lot of people have gone to the best universities and secured first class degrees, and still struggled.

In sum, I am glad you had such an amazing experience, whilst the majority did not. I wish you were more truthful and addressed some of the points we already mentioned, which would have made for a far more interesting and informative discussion.

Reactions: JoNo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As said at the end of the thread, it went seriously off topic, and so the thread was closed on that basis.

There is no silencing. The thread can still be seen and you can still quote from the other thread should you want to.

The only posts that were “silenced” were the ones not relevant to the topic where they were removed. We have done this with other threads when they have gone off topic.

I’d also recommend tagging people into posts by using the @ and then writing their screen name. That allows them to see your thoughts and if they want to, respond to your points.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I really did not see the point of closing the thread and then saying that we could open another one if we wanted to continue our discussion? I do not think it is fair to prevent people from responding to the posts that were made. At least give the chance for people to respond when they are being addressed, and allow them to explain themselves. It really feels like BPP have some hold over this website, as whenever there is criticism against them, the same people are always defending them. I really think that if you have not gone to BPP, you really cannot comment on the situation. I think that is what is causing a lot of the frustration. You really needed to sit the PGDL with them, especially this year, to really comprehend the gravity of the situation. I posted 24 headlines in the previous thread about the scandals BPP have been involved in the last 3 years, that really should say it all!

I am starting this thread (again) mainly to allow freedom of speech to continue, alongside not allowing BPP to win and have our opinions and views silenced. I appreciate things got a little heated in the previous thread between some members. However, I think it is counter-productive to lock a thread which prevents a person from responding. Moreover, it would be more productive to help a person see where they have gone wrong in their reasoning or in the way they expressed it, rather than to tell them off like a teacher, and then lock the thread which didn't seem like the best way to deal with the situation.

I also believe it was unfair "Max Power" failed to address the main issues that have been discussed in the previous thread, and only gave an account of his own experience which I do not believe is reflective of the wider cohort. I am glad you had such a great time, but at least address the points that have been raised. Nobody mentioned anything about a statute book? Why on earth would you need one for the PGDL exams anyway? You can just save the statutes you need on your laptop and use them in the exam. We were talking about study materials and textbooks which we were promised. I don't care if law firms are going paperless. I really think you have been drinking too much of the BPP cool aid.

As someone that got high distinctions in all the first term modules, BPP does not give you all the tools to get a distinction. I and others in my class had to work everything out for ourselves to succeed. This is further emphasised by the high amount of people that failed modules, which suggests BPP do not give you the tools to get a distinction. I also find it disappointing that you would assume we all have 2.1s. A lot of people have gone to the best universities and secured first class degrees, and still struggled.

In sum, I am glad you had such an amazing experience, whilst the majority did not. I wish you were more truthful and addressed some of the points we already mentioned, which would have made for a far more interesting and informative discussion.

You missed a large part of the discussion which was subsequently deleted. This is why that thread was locked. It had nothing to do with the BPP discussion - it was an argument between members.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Tbf to @Max Power I'm sure they meant 2.1 and above instead of everyone 'only' having a 2.1 and they did mention how "incredibly difficult" and "challenging" they found the course so I'm sure they'd agree with you there on those points.

Genuine question, is it the lack of a physical textbook etc that frustrated you or did you still have the digital copies? I had both this year at ULaw and ended up using the digital versions far more out of preference so curious as to whether you think not having the physical materials made that much difference to you?

• 🤝
    Reactions: Deleted member 11573

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ok apologises, I must of missed those comments.
    You would have as they were deleted pretty quickly given their nature.

We are happy for people to discuss this topic, but please remember that someone doesn’t have to respond to every counterclaim you make. We all have our own experiences and knowledge of what we can comment on, and what we can’t.

Reactions: Alison C

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Ok apologises, I must of missed those comments.
    It’s okay, I have edited my previous post to make it clear why the thread was locked.

Just to be clear, I have absolutely no issue with you raising issues about any organisation and there is no conspiracy here - BPP does not have a ‘hold’ over this website. We will only lock threads and delete posts where our community guidelines are breached e.g. users personally attack one another.

Reactions: AK105

shadow-demon

Star Member
    May 9, 2021
    Tbf to @Max Power I'm sure they meant 2.1 and above instead of everyone 'only' having a 2.1 and they did mention how "incredibly difficult" and "challenging" they found the course so I'm sure they'd agree with you there on those points.

Genuine question, is it the lack of a physical textbook etc that frustrated you or did you still have the digital copies? I had both this year at ULaw and ended up using the digital versions far more out of preference so curious as to whether you think not having the physical materials made that much difference to you?
    We had access to digital copies. The main issue was they said they would provide physical copies and then proceeded to lie and say they had no intention in doing so. Some people like you do everything on the laptop and others do not. I hate using my laptop or computer for longer than I need to. Especially being in a pandemic and being glued to a screen all day. At least in the office you get social interaction and can break up your day away from your desk. Call me traditional but I much prefer having textbooks and copies of study materials. At least ulaw gave you physical study manuals that essentially tell you what you need to know and repeat in the exam.

In sum, the textbook issue is the least serious issue out of all of those raised. I didn’t understand max’s comment about a statute book when nobody complained or even asked for one. So I don’t know where he got that from.

it was also really problematic to have a digital textbook for the exam as I already had so many tabs open. I would of rather much preferred a physical textbook that I could have easily annotated, tabbed and highlighted. We could do all of that on the digital copy but the interface was rubbish and it was just not worth using the textbooks because of how bad the software was.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    We had access to digital copies. The main issue was they said they would provide physical copies and then proceeded to lie and say they had no intention in doing so. Some people like you do everything on the laptop and others do not. I hate using my laptop or computer for longer than I need to. Especially being in a pandemic and being glued to a screen all day. At least in the office you get social interaction and can break up your day away from your desk. Call me traditional but I much prefer having textbooks and copies of study materials. At least ulaw gave you physical study manuals that essentially tell you what you need to know and repeat in the exam.

In sum, the textbook issue is the least serious issue out of all of those raised. I didn’t understand max’s comment about a statute book when nobody complained or even asked for one. So I don’t know where he got that from.

it was also really problematic to have a digital textbook for the exam as I already had so many tabs open. I would of rather much preferred a physical textbook that I could have easily annotated, tabbed and highlighted. We could do all of that on the digital copy but the interface was rubbish and it was just not worth using the textbooks because of how bad the software was.
    Yeah that makes complete sense especially re the exams and the software - you guys have my full sympathies! Were there similar problems on the LPC do you know?

D

Deleted member 11573

Hi, yes I really was not trying to undermine anyone's experiences. @Daniel Boden you're right- what I was trying to say is that it's a massive step up from university study. You take the top candidates only (2.1 and above) and put them on an intense course where only the top 15% of candidates or so will gain a distinction. I myself am a 2.1 graduate so I absolutely was not trying to insult that achievement! This means 85% of people studying the course are likely to be unhappy. Add the high-pressure and stressful environment (that I know to be difficult from my own experience), transition to online learning and potential financial uncertainty and it is even harder. For example, I worked for years to afford the GDL and make the transition into law and I still required additional loan funding.

I was told that the lack of promised materials was due to Covid-related disruptions. I have no idea if that's true. I can see how that would be incredibly frustrating if you like using physical materials. Personally, I like having digital copies.

I know there have been issues with the course. BPP even gave the wrong exam question during one exam. As I've said, I found the PGDL to be stressful. Yet, I think a lot of the issues people have talked about don't add up to my own experience, and I'd like prospective students to see a balanced discussion of the issues.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.