PGDL at BPP vs GDL UoLaw (January vs September)

Francesca Catenacci

Oct 8, 2018
Hi all! Apologies in advance for a confusing/long post. I received an offer to study the GDL at the University of Law, both in September 2021 and January 2022 (I can choose), and to do the PGDL at BPP (Jan 2022). I have a few questions. Considering I do want to qualify as a solicitor, and bearing in mind the new SQE route:
- Which programme should I go for? If I do the GDL in January, will I still be able to go down to the LPC, TC route? Or will September 2021 be the last intake for the traditional qualification route?
- Is there any advantage in starting the GDL/PGDL in September rather than in January in terms of TC or LPC?
- Is a PGDL overall more valuable than a GDL because it is at a postgraduate level?
- If I decide to go down the SQE route, will a GDL be valuable, or will I need a PGDL?
- Which university offers more support in terms of applications/ pro-bono?

I am very indecisive. On one side, I don't know whether the traditional qualifying route will still be available, should I start a GDL in 2022. On the other, I struggle to understand the practical difference between PGDL and GDL.

Thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The GDL isn't available from January 2022 (you have to start the course by December 2021 where it is being replaced by the SQE).... so not sure why they are promoting a 2022 course to you unless they think you want to be a barrister.

- Is there any advantage in starting the GDL/PGDL in September rather than in January in terms of TC or LPC? - you wouldn't be able to do the LPC if you took the January course. The GDL would only be valuable to you if you started in 2022 if you wanted to become a barrister.

- Is a PGDL overall more valuable than a GDL because it is at a postgraduate level? It is only valuable to you as a candidate as it will allow you to apply for post-graduate funding.

- If I decide to go down the SQE route, will a GDL be valuable, or will I need a PGDL? if you do down the SQE route, neither course will be of value unless you also complete the LPC. The LPC will mean you are exempt from SQE stage 1, but the GDL on its own (whether in GDL or PGDL format) will not.

Francesca Catenacci

Oct 8, 2018
The GDL isn't available from January 2022 (you have to start the course by December 2021 where it is being replaced by the SQE).... so not sure why they are promoting a 2022 course to you unless they think you want to be a barrister.

- Is there any advantage in starting the GDL/PGDL in September rather than in January in terms of TC or LPC? - you wouldn't be able to do the LPC if you took the January course. The GDL would only be valuable to you if you started in 2022 if you wanted to become a barrister.

- Is a PGDL overall more valuable than a GDL because it is at a postgraduate level? It is only valuable to you as a candidate as it will allow you to apply for post-graduate funding.

- If I decide to go down the SQE route, will a GDL be valuable, or will I need a PGDL? if you do down the SQE route, neither course will be of value unless you also complete the LPC. The LPC will mean you are exempt from SQE stage 1, but the GDL on its own (whether in GDL or PGDL format) will not.
Thank you so much Jessica!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.