PGDL or LLM Law and Legal Practice at BPP

James5612

Junior Lawyer
Jul 2, 2020
Hi all,

I have managed to secure a training contract and, as a non-law student, I am currently down to study the LLM Law and Legal Practice at BPP (Waterloo), commencing this September. From what I understand, the LLM Law and Legal Practice is essentially the PGDL plus an extra module which confers it LLM status. It seems that the PGDL normally finishes in April, however, the extra module for the LLM takes it up to July. I know that the SQE will start in September after this. I am also aware that this will likely be my last extended period of holiday and, therefore, my last chance to go on a multi-month travelling trip. The LLM would also require me to pay two or three extra months in expensive London rent! So, I have two questions:

1) Given that the firm in question has no preference as to whether I do the PGDL or the LLM, is there any real advantage in doing the latter?
2) Were I to do the LLM, would it actually require me to be in London, paying all that extra rent, if the added module were just a research project as is one of the optional modules?

In essence, would my desire to do the PGDL over the LLM (because I want to travel) be a lazy decision?

Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) no - put frankly, people know it isn’t really a proper LLM, just the GDL labelled up as one.

2) don’t know enough about the course to comment on that.

Reactions: James5612

aspiringlawyer004

Nov 8, 2020
Hi, I'm currently doing the LLM Law and Legal Practice.

In answer to 1), there is no real advantage to doing the LLM apart from getting the master's loan. If you're being sponsored, I see no reason to do it.

2) I don't know if it will go in person next year, but this year we have 3 meetings with our supervisor over 3 months and they're all online. Even if they decide to move the teaching in person, there is a chance that your supervisor could be in a different location so your supervisions would be online anyway.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all,

I have managed to secure a training contract and, as a non-law student, I am currently down to study the LLM Law and Legal Practice at BPP (Waterloo), commencing this September. From what I understand, the LLM Law and Legal Practice is essentially the PGDL plus an extra module which confers it LLM status. It seems that the PGDL normally finishes in April, however, the extra module for the LLM takes it up to July. I know that the SQE will start in September after this. I am also aware that this will likely be my last extended period of holiday and, therefore, my last chance to go on a multi-month travelling trip. The LLM would also require me to pay two or three extra months in expensive London rent! So, I have two questions:

1) Given that the firm in question has no preference as to whether I do the PGDL or the LLM, is there any real advantage in doing the latter?
    2) Were I to do the LLM, would it actually require me to be in London, paying all that extra rent, if the added module were just a research project as is one of the optional modules?

In essence, would my desire to do the PGDL over the LLM (because I want to travel) be a lazy decision?

Thanks in advance!
    No it will not be a lazy decision! The GDL/PGDL is an intense course as it is and everyone (employers included) are aware of that so I would just do that instead of the LLM tbh especially since you don't need to do it to get a loan as your firm will be funding you (I assume anyway)

habituallylatte

• May 14, 2020
    Hi, I'm currently doing the LLM Law and Legal Practice.

In answer to 1), there is no real advantage to doing the LLM apart from getting the master's loan. If you're being sponsored, I see no reason to do it.

2) I don't know if it will go in person next year, but this year we have 3 meetings with our supervisor over 3 months and they're all online. Even if they decide to move the teaching in person, there is a chance that your supervisor could be in a different location so your supervisions would be online anyway.
    I am currently doing the LLM too, and can confirm every word of this answer. Do NOT do the LLM unless you need the funding, which you don't.

For anyone reading this thread who hasn't yet got a training contract, and is wondering whether to do the LLM Law and Legal Practice (research pathway) or the PGDL, the only factor to consider is whether you need a student loan. There is absolutely no career advantage in doing an extra module of research.

I cannot speak for those who are considering choosing the SQE I or BTC as their LLM pathway, as that may have usefulness in terms of cost, when factoring in future SQE courses etc.

You seem to be committed to doing your studies at BPP, but given a choice prospective conversion course students should seriously weigh up whether ULaw would serve them better.

James5612

Junior Lawyer
    Jul 2, 2020
    Thanks so much everyone for such thorough and useful responses. It looks like I shall be switching to the PGDL then. That has made my life so much easier so thank you again!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    My sons have just finished the PDGL and neither (on my advice) did the LLM option (and they did not need to do so as they did not need a masters loan). Their older sisters who, like I am, are solicitors, did not do it either (the one sponsored by a law firm was not required to do the LLM either). So I agree with everyone above. However, those who need the graduate student loan there is definitely nothing wrong at all in doing the LLM to ensure that you have the loan, of course.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.