PGDL or SQE prep

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I am messaging with an enquiry really, I thought it might be best to seek your opinion or advice on this matter. I am a recent graduate of the University of Birmingham and I have recently left a job as a trainee accountant to pursue a career in commercial law, as such I was planning on starting the GDL in January. However, I am aware that the process through which one becomes a solicitor has markedly changed. What would be the best route in your opinion, to still enrol for the GDL with BPP and then progress on to the SQE 1 + 2 courses or to enrol on the LLM Legal Practice (SQE1+2) with the University of Law, as I understand that BPP are not offering a course like that of the University of Law yet. Are there any other alternatives that are available, that I haven't mentioned, as an alternative to the GDL and LPC route that once was?

Which would you advise as the best route to take in todays situation?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    It is hard to tell yet. As you do not have a law firm paying your fees it is probably sensible to do the UoL one that covers both SQE1 and 2 even though some of the big firms in the City Consortium are putting people through the BPP PGDL (and then SQE1) and then they go on to the course after that followed by SQE2. Either of BPP or UoL is likely to be suitable however. I am not an expert but if you have no sponsorship and can only obtain one "masters loan" then UoL SQE1 and 2 is probably easiest (even though you have to pay separately and sit separately the SQE1 and 2 exams set by Kaplan - which you do on either course I think.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply.

If I was to take the PGDL with BPP would I still need to do an SQE 1 prep course, or would the PGDL cover the content for this. As BPP have assured me that it should, but I have read elsewhere that it would not be sufficient and I would need to take a prep course as well as the PGDL.

Is there a reason why I have this preconceived idea that BPP is slightly more prestigious than UoL? Or are they both very much similar?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply.

If I was to take the PGDL with BPP would I still need to do an SQE 1 prep course, or would the PGDL cover the content for this. As BPP have assured me that it should, but I have read elsewhere that it would not be sufficient and I would need to take a prep course as well as the PGDL.

Is there a reason why I have this preconceived idea that BPP is slightly more prestigious than UoL? Or are they both very much similar?
    You should speak to the provider/institution about this and whether the GDL is effectively a prep course, or whether they are just delivering it to teach a legal postgraduate qualification. Some law firms are suggesting they will put their non law grads through the GDL and an SQE prep course, although this is to cover SQE 1 and 2 where they are expecting all trainees to pass both sets of examinations before starting a TC.

BPP and UoL are much of a muchness - I wouldn’t see any difference in prestige (not that prestige really matters for such courses).

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with Jessica.
    Also on your questions BPP trains more City firm trainees than UoL. That is the only reason someone might put it ahead of UoL but they are both very good so it will not matter which and as Jessica says this is not like your first degree and there is never any issue of prestige of institution for these courses.

The BPP PGDL was the on my twins did last academic year and is the course the City Consortium are sending their trainees on. It was a new course last September 2020. For some city firms after the PGDL they also send them after that course (the PGDL ends in April) on an SQE1 prep course - see the pdf linked here https://www.slaughterandmay.com/careers/trainee-solicitors/apply/the-route-to-qualification/ under "CCP here" on that link. That shows a graphic/timeline which shows 2 x 15 week terms for PDGL and then 15 week preparation and then SQE1 exam - so that is likely to take one academic year (similar to the GDL before).

Going back to your original question without sponsorship from a law firm and wanting to convert to law it may be better to do the UoL one year SQE1 and 2 course and then the SQE1 and 2 exams. "LLM Legal Practice (SQE1&2) ..The course is delivered over a period of 42 weeks including two revision booster courses. There are a number of different weeks for holidays and consolidation built into the programme". It looks like the UoL course is for SQE 1 and 2 and in total is 42 weeks so about an academic year. I don't know how the SQE1 and 2 external exams feed into that but it sounds like a good course for someone without sponsorship wanting a full time course to get all the professional exams done in the year. However no one really knows yet and I am certainly not an expert.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    By the way BPP have today published their SQE courses - see summary at https://bit.ly/3uiz4PK from the Law Society Gazette. I must say it is all looking very complicated - eg it says UoL suggest non law graduates do their law conversion course first before doing the UoL LLM Legal practice. BPP
    BPP seems to be offering students additional modules (which I suspect will be similar to those training withteh City Consortium will be on) as well as the core courses for SQE1 and 2.

Ameer787

Aug 18, 2022
    Hello, I am having trouble with a similar options- I am a recent non-law graduate and was planning on commencing the PGDL at UoL Moorgate in Sept, however after doing some more research it seems their MA Law including SQE1 prep course may seem a better option. Essentially this course is a masters that includes the SQE1, would this be a better option than doing the PGDL?? - note that I am quite set on becoming a solicitor also. Thank you

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    @Ameer787 I was in a similar situation to you, I chose to study for the PGDL with SQE prep with BPP, which has been really quite useful, I am nearing the end of the PGDL now and the SQE prep seems as though it will really help with the SQE exams.

If you have any questions - drop me a message!

ISH6

Oct 29, 2022
    @Ameer787 I was in a similar situation to you, I chose to study for the PGDL with SQE prep with BPP, which has been really quite useful, I am nearing the end of the PGDL now and the SQE prep seems as though it will really help with the SQE exams.

If you have any questions - drop me a message!
    Hey there! I’m starting with the PGDL at BPP in January. And I wanted to understand how if the university is helpful in teaching how to approach assessments? Have heard mixed reviews about BPP.

I have studied one year of the law modules previously,so I’m not new to the workload.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hey,

From my experience BPP tutors were good at teaching you how to approach the PGDL assessments, there is a mix of MCQs, long-form questions, one essay and one presentation. I would say that it is a lot more practice focused as opposed to academic, as you are taught by ex-solicitors/barristers. I found this really quite interesting as they would be able to put the black letter law into context, owing to their previous experiences in practice.

What I would say is that BPP seemed to have rather a lot of bad press a couple of years ago, however, I have had a largely positive experience with them.

DM me should you have any questions :)

Reactions: stone’sthrow

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.