PGDL or Straight to SQE

User16345

Jul 14, 2021
Hi all,

Apologies if a similar thread has been posted previously, I am just not entirely clear on the new SQE route for qualifying as a solicitor.

I am qualified tax advisor for a big four firm with a history BA and MA. I am intending to take a part-time PGDL with BPP (self-funded) or UoL beginning in September or January, with a view to training as a tax solicitor.

As I understand it, under the new system I will have to obtain an SQE even if I complete the PGDL. As such, in my circumstances, would it be advisable to simply enter an SQE prep course and skip the PGDL entirely? Or, would I require the PGDL for a law firm to even consider me for a training contract?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I think I should've posted this in the general discussion forum, could the mods please move if possible (not sure how).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

Apologies if a similar thread has been posted previously, I am just not entirely clear on the new SQE route for qualifying as a solicitor.

I am qualified tax advisor for a big four firm with a history BA and MA. I am intending to take a part-time PGDL with BPP (self-funded) or UoL beginning in September or January, with a view to training as a tax solicitor.

As I understand it, under the new system I will have to obtain an SQE even if I complete the PGDL. As such, in my circumstances, would it be advisable to simply enter an SQE prep course and skip the PGDL entirely? Or, would I require the PGDL for a law firm to even consider me for a training contract?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I think I should've posted this in the general discussion forum, could the mods please move if possible (not sure how).
You don’t have to complete the SQE if you start the GDL this year, but you could find many firms have already transferred to the SQE as many of the 2024 trainee intakes will have to have moved to the SQE, because it will be much difficult to find non law grads who could do the LPC by that point.

some firms may require you to do the PGDL, but not all will.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.