PGDL resits and chances of landing a TC in London

User1999

Standard Member
Jul 2, 2021
I already have an undergrad 2.1 beng in engineering from a russel group university with a first in my dissertation. I took the PGDL full time online course in January with BPP and failed 3 subjects and got a MC application for the fourth which I am due to do with the other 3 resits and the 4 core module assessments unless and until I defer the first 4 module assessments. My MC application was about the death of a close family member’s effect on my performance. The severe deterioration of that member’s health before that member’s death affected me in the other failed assessments but I did not even make an appeal for this after I figured what my results were. I thought it would be too complex and BPP would think I’m lying and so it would be a waste of my time.

Considering the PGDL average for 2 of these modules is 52 and 57 for my particular batch and around 40 for all my personal failed assessments , are firms going to consider me? The pass mark for the new PGDL is 50.

hopefully someone who did the GDL or PGDL with resits who has actually been accepted can provide their advice?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it worthwhile asking BPP to consider the other three failed GDL grades for mitigating circumstances?

The grades will be concerning on the face of it, but if you claim your mitigating circumstances when you apply to law firms, that will be less of an issue. Without explaining them, there is a significant risk that firms will question your interest in/ability to study law. This will be a major concern for any firm that may sponsor your LPC.

How much a firm will consider your mitigating circumstances is going to depend on the strength of the rest of your academics. If this year is clearly a blip, then it becomes more obvious this is an anomaly and that the firm should look beyond that year.

You may also want to line up an academic referee who can verify your mitigating circumstances or provide any input into how you may have performed if the circumstances hadn't happened.

Reactions: User1999 and Alison C

User1999

Standard Member
Jul 2, 2021
Is it worthwhile asking BPP to consider the other three failed GDL grades for mitigating circumstances?

The grades will be concerning on the face of it, but if you claim your mitigating circumstances when you apply to law firms, that will be less of an issue. Without explaining them, there is a significant risk that firms will question your interest in/ability to study law. This will be a major concern for any firm that may sponsor your LPC.

How much a firm will consider your mitigating circumstances is going to depend on the strength of the rest of your academics. If this year is clearly a blip, then it becomes more obvious this is an anomaly and that the firm should look beyond that year.

You may also want to line up an academic referee who can verify your mitigating circumstances or provide any input into how you may have performed if the circumstances hadn't happened.
Thank you for your response! I think I’m past the deadline for submitting an appeals application but I’ll contact BPP anyway and see if anything is possible!

I’ll also likely try to get an academic referee as well.

User1999

Standard Member
Jul 2, 2021
Thank you for your response! I think I’m past the deadline for submitting an appeals application but I’ll contact BPP anyway and see if anything is possible!

I’ll also likely try to get an academic referee as well.
I meant I’m past the deadline for a mitigating circumstance application for sure @Jessica Booker . I will call the university and see if they’ll let me due to my circumstances.

User1999

Standard Member
Jul 2, 2021
I meant I’m past the deadline for a mitigating circumstance application for sure @Jessica Booker . I will call the university and see if they’ll let me due to my circumstances.
@Jessica Booker if the university doesn’t accept to consider the other 3 failed exams as MCs what should I do with regards to interviews and TC applications? For the successful MC, I applied a few days after that exam. The other exams were all in the prior week. The reason for not applying for MCs for the other exams by the deadline was that on one hand I hoped that I would’ve passed them so I wouldn’t have to repeat as I already had a whole other term with more exams. On the other hand I also thought I was past the deadline at the time. However, my performance was hindered in those exams regardless for the reasons mentioned earlier.

I also think an academic appeal is not applicable in my situation but I’m not sure.

Sorry to trouble you with these questions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker if the university doesn’t accept to consider the other 3 failed exams as MCs what should I do with regards to interviews and TC applications? For the successful MC, I applied a few days after that exam. The other exams were all in the prior week. The reason for not applying for MCs for the other exams by the deadline was that on one hand I hoped that I would’ve passed them so I wouldn’t have to repeat as I already had a whole other term with more exams. On the other hand I also thought I was past the deadline at the time. However, my performance was hindered in those exams regardless for the reasons mentioned earlier.

I also think an academic appeal is not applicable in my situation but I’m not sure.

Sorry to trouble you with these questions.
You’ll just have to claim the mitigating circumstances and explain you were too late to apply for resit exemptions.

User1999

Standard Member
Jul 2, 2021
You’ll just have to claim the mitigating circumstances and explain you were too late to apply for resit exemptions.
@Jessica Booker Thank you for the help! When my mitigating circumstances were approved for that one module, I was not required to submit a death certificate or other proof since the uni did not require proof during the early covid period probably due to it being harder to leave the house. When asking my tutor to comment, would it be best to send her a death certificate or asking her to verify my performance had the MC not occurred be sufficient for most firms? Do some firms absolutely require evidence sent to them or referred to by a tutor?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Thank you for the help! When my mitigating circumstances were approved for that one module, I was not required to submit a death certificate or other proof since the uni did not require proof during the early covid period probably due to it being harder to leave the house. When asking my tutor to comment, would it be best to send her a death certificate or asking her to verify my performance had the MC not occurred be sufficient for most firms? Do some firms absolutely require evidence sent to them or referred to by a tutor?
A lot of firms will aim to have some kind of verification that the circumstances happened, but that does depend on the circumstances themselves. The easiest verification process is to ask the academic institution as to whether they knew the circumstances existed and whether they can comment on how it may have impacted your studies too. This therefore gives an “experts” opinion as to whether the circumstances did have an impact or not.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.