Pinsent Mason's 4000 character questions

goonhoon2

Oct 15, 2019
Hi, a quick question:

is it generally recommended reaching the limit of 4000 characters (including spaces) in all four of the questions that PM asks? I.e. would 2000 characters in the 'greatest achievement' question be considered short?

Thanks!

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
I don’t think you have to fill the full quota of characters but if you were nowhere near then I’d question whether you have included enough detail in your example. Don’t just add words for the sake of it though. Every word needs to have a purpose.

goonhoon2

Oct 15, 2019
I don’t think you have to fill the full quota of characters but if you were nowhere near then I’d question whether you have included enough detail in your example. Don’t just add words for the sake of it though. Every word needs to have a purpose.

That makes sense, thank you. I think I am somewhere near 3000 and feel like another thousand would be just stretching the sentences longer. Anyways, I hope @Jaysen is ready for 12k+ of characters to review in the near future.:D

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    That makes sense, thank you. I think I am somewhere near 3000 and feel like another thousand would be just stretching the sentences longer. Anyways, I hope @Jaysen is ready for 12k+ of characters to review in the near future.:D

Still prefer it to the Macfarlanes application!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You will always be looked upon favourably if you use less words as a lawyer than more.

As mentioned above, just be confident you are not missing necessary/important detail. But if it’s 2000 characters, that’s probably over 300 words so that’s still a fairly chunky response (and I could see you could answer everything in that, depending on the question).

am787

Oct 15, 2018
    @Jessica Booker - there is a section for 'supporting documents' on the Pinsent Masons application form which they say can include a CV and other docs. Would you recommend to always include a CV on this app (and also for every firm which gives you the opportunity to do so?)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker - there is a section for 'supporting documents' on the Pinsent Masons application form which they say can include a CV and other docs. Would you recommend to always include a CV on this app (and also for every firm which gives you the opportunity to do so?)

not if it’s just repeating the vast majority of the information you are presenting on the application. If you feel your CV presents significantly more/different information, then you can do so but it isn’t compulsory. If a CV was important, that’s all they would ask for.

Reactions: am787

Pluto

May 8, 2020
    Did anyone get an email confirmation that Pinsent Masons received your application? I did not get an email confirmation but on the Job Applications page, it says that the application is sent? Should I email them?

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    Did anyone get an email confirmation that Pinsent Masons received your application? I did not get an email confirmation but on the Job Applications page, it says that the application is sent? Should I email them?
    Hi! I had this issue too & I know a few others have as well. I emailed grad rec to confirm they had received & they had so I just think you do not get a confirmation email with them!

Reactions: Pluto

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.