Poor academic results

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
I was just wondering how much weight recruiters put on academic results.

In my first year I got 32 in a module as I stupidly missed an exam that made up half the marks. Thankfully, first year didn’t count towards my history degree so I was fortunate enough to still be able to achieve a 1st overall from a decent RG university. I was just wondering if this would be a massive red flag when people come to read my application. (The rest of my first year marks were low 2:1s but as a result of that one module I got a low 2:2 overall).

Also, during my GDL I got a low commendation with some fairly awful marks in certain areas (50 in contract and Con and Ad).

I’m currently finding it hard to motivate myself to do vacation scheme applications as I feel that the results above will ensure anything I submit won’t be taken very seriously. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated!

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I was just wondering how much weight recruiters put on academic results.

In my first year I got 32 in a module as I stupidly missed an exam that made up half the marks. Thankfully, first year didn’t count towards my history degree so I was fortunate enough to still be able to achieve a 1st overall from a decent RG university. I was just wondering if this would be a massive red flag when people come to read my application. (The rest of my first year marks were low 2:1s but as a result of that one module I got a low 2:2 overall).

Also, during my GDL I got a low commendation with some fairly awful marks in certain areas (50 in contract and Con and Ad).

I’m currently finding it hard to motivate myself to do vacation scheme applications as I feel that the results above will ensure anything I submit won’t be taken very seriously. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated!

You meet the minimum requirements for most firms so a few bad marks shouldn’t stop you applying. Yes, some firms will scrutinise individual grades but most will look at your application as a whole.

If you write an excellent application and have strong extra curriculars, poor marks in themselves will not write you out.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
    You meet the minimum requirements for most firms so a few bad marks shouldn’t stop you applying. Yes, some firms will scrutinise individual grades but most will look at your application as a whole.

If you write an excellent application and have strong extra curriculars, poor marks in themselves will not write you out.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the reply, that's quite a relief!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Yeah I agree - if you have a strong application + great experience, I don’t think one bad module will stop you from securing interviews.

I may stay clear of firms who want high 2:1s and firsts eg slaughter and may (but no harm in trying!)

Also once you get to interview, know that they like you so don’t feel insecure about your grades then. If they ask you what went wrong with that module, you can just be honest and say you’ve learnt from that mistake and it hasn’t happened again (hence your grades improving!

Best of luck

Reactions: R Cross and Lumree

SportsThoughts

Star Member
    Jun 4, 2019
    Yeah I agree - if you have a strong application + great experience, I don’t think one bad module will stop you from securing interviews.

I may stay clear of firms who want high 2:1s and firsts eg slaughter and may (but no harm in trying!)

Also once you get to interview, know that they like you so don’t feel insecure about your grades then. If they ask you what went wrong with that module, you can just be honest and say you’ve learnt from that mistake and it hasn’t happened again (hence your grades improving!

Best of luck

Cannot stress this enough. If you're sat at an interview, you're taking up someones time, which already makes you an investment - they want you to do well as much as you do.

I managed to wangle the TC AC with Slaughters with 2x 2.ii, both in core legal modules and one even in final year (and let's not even discuss my A Levels - eek!). I was however, ripped to shreds about it and really had to battle in the interview, so expect this.

Experience and how you articulate yourself in the application is where most, myself included, fall short. Turn that upside down and that's where you can absolutely stand out.

Keep going and good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.