possible 2:2 in first year, do i still apply for vac schemes in second year?

tobywstress

Nov 9, 2022
So I have received my first year grades averaging 58% as follows
Contract : high 2:2
Tort : high 2:2
Legal theory : low 2:1
Public : ungraded but my Jan exam was a mid/high 2;1

As it stands, my overall grade may reach 2:1 if my Public Law derived mark follows my January results. For A-levels, I have AAB equivlent.
Should I still apply to any city firms next year given my grades were so bad? For applicant background, I am studying at RG uni and have done some open days at US firms in first year. I also have some non-legal experience at theatre technician.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Most city law firms will have a 2.1 requirement, and so you won’t meet that until your have your January deferred result, which will be after most firms have closed their applications.

You may find a small number of other opportunities in the legal sector that don’t require a 2.1 though, and so you could apply to them.

However, I would encourage to invest time into getting your grades up in the first instance.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

tobywstress

Nov 9, 2022
Most city law firms will have a 2.1 requirement, and so you won’t meet that until your have your January deferred result, which will be after most firms have closed their applications.

You may find a small number of other opportunities in the legal sector that don’t require a 2.1 though, and so you could apply to them.

However, I would encourage to invest time into getting your grades up in the first instance.
is my high 2:2 contract grade an auto rejection?

h79

Standard Member
Jan 28, 2023
I really don't think it's too much of an issue. Made good progress in VC applications with 61 average in first year, with some 2.2 modules. As long as you start second year well you should be fine..

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
So I have received my first year grades averaging 58% as follows
Contract : high 2:2
Tort : high 2:2
Legal theory : low 2:1
Public : ungraded but my Jan exam was a mid/high 2;1

As it stands, my overall grade may reach 2:1 if my Public Law derived mark follows my January results. For A-levels, I have AAB equivlent.
Should I still apply to any city firms next year given my grades were so bad? For applicant background, I am studying at RG uni and have done some open days at US firms in first year. I also have some non-legal experience at theatre technician.
These grades at not the end of the road at all !

How much does your first year contribute to your degree overall? As long as you are on your way to a 2:1 (the requirement for most firms), you should be okay! I would do this by throwing yourself into your studies next term and demonstrate some high grades in your formative essays. That way, you can demonstrate an upward trajectory, as well as of course having an overall great application and commercial awareness.

Laura :)

tobywstress

Nov 9, 2022
These grades at not the end of the road at all !

How much does your first year contribute to your degree overall? As long as you are on your way to a 2:1 (the requirement for most firms), you should be okay! I would do this by throwing yourself into your studies next term and demonstrate some high grades in your formative essays. That way, you can demonstrate an upward trajectory, as well as of course having an overall great application and commercial awareness.

Laura :)
My first year doesn’t contribute to the overall classification. I’m just worried that I would never stand a chance with first year 2:2.

My formatives and January exams in first year were good (mid to high 2:1). I made a huge mistake in one of the exam questions and turned the final grade to very low.

Thank you for the advice! Going to work even more this year.

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
I agree with all of the above, most firms are just looking that you're "on track to achieve a 2:1!" If you do end up applying to vac schemes next year, I would recommend just being mindful that some firms have stricter requirements than others - for example I know Norton Rose asks for a 2:1 in Contract and Tort. But other firms I looked at, I can't recall right now which, don't have any stated requirements for university grades so it really depends from firm to firm.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
My first year doesn’t contribute to the overall classification. I’m just worried that I would never stand a chance with first year 2:2.

My formatives and January exams in first year were good (mid to high 2:1). I made a huge mistake in one of the exam questions and turned the final grade to very low.

Thank you for the advice! Going to work even more this year.
Keep going - never a reason to give up at the beginning. I only see this driving you further to your goal!

Reactions: PutItThereMan

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.