Possible mitigating circumstance

Jesudumbi

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 13, 2023
Hello, I am conflicted about how to properly explain a low score that I had in 1 module without it looking like an excuse. So this module, I only answered two out of three questions and barely passed the 50 mark. It is inconsistent with my other modules and obvious that something might have gone wrong I guess but I don't want to present it sloppily. I was genuinely physically sick and in pain on the day I wrote this module and coupled with the anxiety of the exam, I was only able to answer 2 questions. There's also the part of if I knew I was sick I should have contacted the school and probably rescheduled my paper but I was really overwhelmed and could not do that out of fear. How best can I explain this whole situation? I still got a high 2.1 overall for my aggregate so I meet the minimum qualification but I can't help but worry about this low score. Thank you for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The difficulty is here that unfortunately you won’t have anyone to verify your circumstances or how they impacted your studies - in these instances firms can be reluctant to consider them as ultimately there is no evidence of them.

You can still include explaining your mitigating circumstances in an application though and the advantage you do have is that it will clearly look like an anomaly compared to your other grades, and therefore may be taken into consideration. There is no harm in including the details - I think you just need to explain you were unwell on the day of the exam but sat the exam anyway, but due to the illness we’re unable to complete the last question.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.