Post-GDL work experience in the UK as an international (non-EU) student (paralegal/legal assistant)

deoxrize

Standard Member
Oct 21, 2022
Hi,

I am an international student with a bachelor's in politics (3.5 GPA unfortunately) and later obtained a Distinction from a Russel group university for a masters (IR). I have been working for a year at the Tax Revenue Service in my home country, and seriously thinking of a career change. Starting from January, I will be doing the GDL at University of Law in London (online). I don't have any legal experience (looking at being a solicitor in the future). My questions are:

1. What would the timeline be like for someone doing the GDL and looking for vacation schemes, paralegal roles and TCs? Assuming I start my GDL in January, does that mean I will have to immediately start applying to both winter/spring/summer vacation schemes and TCs? Even if I do get TC offers they are usually offered two years in advance, right? Does that mean I will have to wait two years before starting my TC? Maybe do the LPC and some paralegal work during that time?
  2. Is it a good idea to do the LPC before doing some paralegal work and starting my TC?
Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome. Thank you!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I am an international student with a bachelor's in politics (3.5 GPA unfortunately) and later obtained a Distinction from a Russel group university for a masters (IR). I have been working for a year at the Tax Revenue Service in my home country, and seriously thinking of a career change. Starting from January, I will be doing the GDL at University of Law in London (online). I don't have any legal experience (looking at being a solicitor in the future). My questions are:

1. What would the timeline be like for someone doing the GDL and looking for vacation schemes, paralegal roles and TCs? Assuming I start my GDL in January, does that mean I will have to immediately start applying to both winter/spring/summer vacation schemes and TCs? Even if I do get TC offers they are usually offered two years in advance, right? Does that mean I will have to wait two years before starting my TC? Maybe do the LPC and some paralegal work during that time?
  2. Is it a good idea to do the LPC before doing some paralegal work and starting my TC?
1) I would apply for Spring and Summer vacation schemes now with the abuse you may also need to apply for next year’s winter schemes in August-November next year. Training contracts are typically recruited 2-3 year in advance (most firms are currently recruiting for 2025 intakes) but occasionally earlier intakes are advertised, so you may find an opportunity to start a TC earlier.

2) You won’t be eligible to do the LPC. You will need to take the SQE instead. If you secure a TC, then most firms will sponsor you through this course. However, if you didn’t secure a TC, you could choose to self fund the SQE. There isn’t really a right or wrong approach to this. Plenty of people will wait until they secure a TC, and may do paralegalling work instead. However, some paralegal jobs will also require the LPC or SQE (although many won’t at the same time).

Reactions: deoxrize

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi,

I think you're a really good candidate for direct TCs. where you apply for the TC without needing to do a vac scheme, and would highly recommend this route to you. It may be easier to pursue while you're undertaking your GDL as well! I am linking a thread I made here for more information on direct TCs so you can gauge whether you like this option for yourself!

deoxrize

Standard Member
Oct 21, 2022
I think you're a really good candidate for direct TCs. where you apply for the TC without needing to do a vac scheme, and would highly recommend this route to you. It may be easier to pursue while you're undertaking your GDL as well! I am linking a thread I made here for more information on direct TCs so you can gauge whether you like this option for yourself!
Thank you! The only thing I am concerned about is that not all firms are willing to act as a sponsor for their non-EU trainees. Realistically, only larger, more internationally-minded magic circle firms will consider my visa application. And as far as I know, they look for exceptionally good grades and the whole application process is VERY competitive. That is why I was considering doing the LPC/SQE before applying for the TC...

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you! The only thing I am concerned about is that not all firms are willing to act as a sponsor for their non-EU trainees. Realistically, only larger, more internationally-minded magic circle firms will consider my visa application. And as far as I know, they look for exceptionally good grades and the whole application process is VERY competitive. That is why I was considering doing the LPC/SQE before applying for the TC...
Their grade requirements aren't any different from the grade requirements for vac schemes. From what I know, it is generally regarded as being a more competitive route because of the smaller number of places, but I think that shouldn't be something that holds you back. You're going to find competition everywhere and that's just a feature of this industry. They key point when doing a direct TC app is ensuring that you're able to to demonstrate your knowledge of how law firms work and what lawyers do from the application form itself. Your motivations also likely need to more developed i.e. you need to know what you like about the firm without spending 2-4 weeks interning with them.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

deoxrize

Standard Member
Oct 21, 2022
Their grade requirements aren't any different from the grade requirements for vac schemes. From what I know, it is generally regarded as being a more competitive route because of the smaller number of places, but I think that shouldn't be something that holds you back. You're going to find competition everywhere and that's just a feature of this industry. They key point when doing a direct TC app is ensuring that you're able to to demonstrate your knowledge of how law firms work and what lawyers do from the application form itself. Your motivations also likely need to more developed i.e. you need to know what you like about the firm without spending 2-4 weeks interning with them.
Thank you for your advice. Fingers crossed!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would stress that doing the LPC/SQE won't necessarily change what they are looking for. It will show a commitment to qualifying in England and Wales, but it doesn't necessarily make your application stand out or change what they are looking for regarding other academics/work experience etc.

Reactions: AvniD

deoxrize

Standard Member
Oct 21, 2022
I would stress that doing the LPC/SQE won't necessarily change what they are looking for. It will show a commitment to qualifying in England and Wales, but it doesn't necessarily make your application stand out or change what they are looking for regarding other academics/work experience etc.
I see, thank you for the clarification. To be honest, right now, I cannot help but think that I am wasting my potential working for the government (and doing non-law related work).
Like if I ever want to switch careers, much of the work I do in the government will be different than in the private sector and my experience may not seem relevant at all. I am under the impression that if I at least manage to work for Big 4 (deal advisory kind of role but open to exploring other area) in my home country, my job will be more fullfilling and I will get to pick more relevant practical skills. Would it be a good idea to get a few years of experience while doing my GDL and circle back to the law TC once I have more relevant experience?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I see, thank you for the clarification. To be honest, right now, I cannot help but think that I am wasting my potential working for the government (and doing non-law related work).
Like if I ever want to switch careers, much of the work I do in the government will be different than in the private sector and my experience may not seem relevant at all. I am under the impression that if I at least manage to work for Big 4 (deal advisory kind of role but open to exploring other area) in my home country, my job will be more fullfilling and I will get to pick more relevant practical skills. Would it be a good idea to get a few years of experience while doing my GDL and circle back to the law TC once I have more relevant experience?
I suspect you are being too critical of your current experiences. You don't need to be working for a Big 4 firm to secure a TC in the UK. I suspect there are many different aspects of your work that is relevant to working in a commercial firm, even if it is just the transferable skills you have developed from that work.

Some people will gain experience while doing their GDL, but this isn't necessary to secure a TC.

deoxrize

Standard Member
Oct 21, 2022
I suspect you are being too critical of your current experiences. You don't need to be working for a Big 4 firm to secure a TC in the UK. I suspect there are many different aspects of your work that is relevant to working in a commercial firm, even if it is just the transferable skills you have developed from that work.

Some people will gain experience while doing their GDL, but this isn't necessary to secure a TC.
I guess I am trying to offset my low-ish 2:1 undergraduate degree by relevant experience. But as you said, it's all about selling yourself on your application, particularly how your experience helps you develop key skills/attributes that you would need as a corporate lawyer.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.