Potential Job Change

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Hi Guys,

I am facing a dilemma and could really use some input!

I am a career changer currently studying the GDL alongside my current employment as Operations Manager for a medical devices company. I have been contacted regarding a legal support assistant position at a well-known, relatively local firm and I don't know whether to go for it.

The firm that is interested in me is very focused on internal promotions and I have been very candid about my journey so they know that I am looking to qualify. They have said that there is scope for future progression but this would be to paralegal and then scope to progress to a training contract after this.

In terms of employability and obtaining a training contract, would it be seen as more beneficial to have a law firm on my CV, even if the tasks are more menial and administrative? My current employers are very supportive of my change to law so alongside my usual management duties I also undertake contract drafting and reviews, drafting terms of sale and NDA's, reviewing tenancy agreements and I am the point of contact for all trademark and IP issues. These used to be passed directly to our solicitors but are now only signed off by them after my work.

I completely understand that I am going to take a significant pay cut to move to an entry-level position in law but to be a legal support assistant and then paralegal before a TC will probably take a good few years in each position I would expect.

Is it worth it to be considered for TC with the firm further down the line? My current thinking is that the duties that I undertake now are developing more valuable skills than administrative support duties even if I am not in a law firm but I don't want to miss an opportunity that would be more beneficial and relatable on TC apps.

What do you think? I could really use a sounding board as I don't want to waste anyone's time and I don't have much of it myself.

Reactions: BiancaM

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just my opinion, but doesn’t sound worth it to me. I don’t think it would improve your application forms in the way you probably think it would.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I'm tending to err towards agreement with Jess here.

The willingness to make sacrifices like salary to take a more 'legal' job is admirable, but, personally, I think it runs the risk of taking a gamble on what might be in the future and it may not end up working out like that. If you have a steady job, various experiences and a good amount to discuss in the application process as it is, there's nothing to say that taking a new position like you say would necessary dramatically improve your application.

I think it sounds like you've got a great employer at the moment who's given you an awesome bit of free leash to go and explore more legal work, and, in interview, I think that actually says more for you than taking another job would: it tells me that your employer thinks you are able to do the extra work, that they can trust you to take on important other duties, that you were proactive enough to seek out further opportunities within your workplace etc.

Hope this helps :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Adding to everything that’s been said, it seems like your current job involves a significant amount of responsibility and by extension probably means you’re learning a lot more. I wouldn’t give that up for a legal admin job (where you are maybe unlikely to have as much responsibility) just because it is more directly related to legal work. If applying for a TC is the long term goal, everything you’ve mentioned learning in your current job on NDAs, trademark and IP issues etc is great material for a TC app and is not experience most candidates will have. One final note is that I think people forget that experience working with companies often means experiences working in industries that law firms provide services to, that’s also an edge you’ll have from your current role.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I agree with what’s been said above. I also think it’s notable that, reading your post as an outsider, it comes across as though you really quite like where you are now and that you are happy and settled there. I think the substance of what you do is more important than the title or indeed the place of work- to me, it sounds like your current role gives you lots of exposure to legal related work and you have a lot of responsibility in that to (being first poet of call etc). Don’t forget too that in all work experience sections you have ample opportunity to write precisely what you did in a given job, it’s not the title and place of work that truly matters.
    I hope all this advice helps you and let us know if you have any follow up questions :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.