Practice areas best for moving out of London

Camlincote123

Aug 28, 2021
Hi there! I'm starting a TC soon at a MC, but have been thinking a lot about future options and how to best keep possibilities open in the future. I've always liked the idea of moving outside of London to the regions (in particular Bristol area) before starting a family, and was wondering if anyone had any insight into what practice areas were in highest demand by regional firms? I was assuming real estate construction and maybe corporate? Any insight would be appreciated. Much love x

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there! I'm starting a TC soon at a MC, but have been thinking a lot about future options and how to best keep possibilities open in the future. I've always liked the idea of moving outside of London to the regions (in particular Bristol area) before starting a family, and was wondering if anyone had any insight into what practice areas were in highest demand by regional firms? I was assuming real estate construction and maybe corporate? Any insight would be appreciated. Much love x
It will very much depend on the region. This article on Bristol may help:

From my understanding it might be more of an sector focus rather than particular practice areas. I reckon a diverse seat range across a TC at a MC firm would give you a good basis to move to most firms/practice areas in the region.

Unless you were going into something seen as very international (eg like International Arbitration), I’d suggest just finding the law you want to practice rather than trying to do something to fit into a potential future career aim. Otherwise you could just end up doing something you hate.

A broad TC seat range, and a focus on client secondments rather than international secondments might be helpful up though.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.