Preparing for a Telephone Interview

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi guys,

I have had two telephone interviews this cycle at really good US firms and despite me thinking they both went well, they didn't and I got rejected.

By some miracle I've managed to get a third telephone interview at a much less well known (but no less valid) national firm in their London office and I really want to make sure I give this my best shot.

How can I best prepare? I've done a lot of research on the firm, but I think the interview will also look at competency questions. Is there a list of the 'generic' questions that tend to be asked somewhere? I'd like to make sure I cover my bases.

Thanks!

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    There's no substitution to finding out previous questions for sure - If you are a member of a diversity network (such as Rare), they collate previous questions for your assistance.

The next step I would take would be doing some open-source research. Someone may have interviewed there and posted their questions. TCLA may also have this information.

Outside of that - the next best thing is adequate preparation. Have good answers to the classic questions - Why law, why the firm, why me. These are answers you provide expand upon the brief summary you provide in your application form.

Next, I'd consider the questions a firm could ask about a specific competency - When have you had to overcome a challenge? When have you dealt with conflict? Do this for the competencies you believe a law firm will test and you will be well on your way.

Jaysen did have a big list of questions asked by law firms on TCLA. It may be a downloadable resource or it may be hidden away on the forum. I'll look for it when im back on my laptop and drop the link in here :)

Have you received any feedback from your unsuccessful attempts? Perhaps addressing those specific points may be a better place to start.

Reactions: Karin

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    There's no substitution to finding out previous questions for sure - If you are a member of a diversity network (such as Rare), they collate previous questions for your assistance.

The next step I would take would be doing some open-source research. Someone may have interviewed there and posted their questions. TCLA may also have this information.

Outside of that - the next best thing is adequate preparation. Have good answers to the classic questions - Why law, why the firm, why me. These are answers you provide expand upon the brief summary you provide in your application form.

Next, I'd consider the questions a firm could ask about a specific competency - When have you had to overcome a challenge? When have you dealt with conflict? Do this for the competencies you believe a law firm will test and you will be well on your way.

Jaysen did have a big list of questions asked by law firms on TCLA. It may be a downloadable resource or it may be hidden away on the forum. I'll look for it when im back on my laptop and drop the link in here :)

Have you received any feedback from your unsuccessful attempts? Perhaps addressing those specific points may be a better place to start.

Thanks for this. I've discovered that someone has interviewed there before and its on the interview page of the TCLA website, so I've been looking at that. They didn't ask the interviewee any competency questions beyond how the firm differentiates itself, but I'm determined to prepare anyway. I'll see if I can find that list of questions you mention!

Unfortunately, I received no feedback at all beyond the usual umbrella email that it was a competitive application season. What was disheartening was that I thought they had both gone well!

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Thanks for this. I've discovered that someone has interviewed there before and its on the interview page of the TCLA website, so I've been looking at that. They didn't ask the interviewee any competency questions beyond how the firm differentiates itself, but I'm determined to prepare anyway. I'll see if I can find that list of questions you mention!

Unfortunately, I received no feedback at all beyond the usual umbrella email that it was a competitive application season. What was disheartening was that I thought they had both gone well!

Ah, that's frustrating re: the feedback, however, it is one of those things.

My experience with interviews (I did a lot this year) was that firms seemed to use it in different ways. Some firms placed significant reliance on the interview, asked quite formulaic questions, and I received feedback specifically from my performance during those interviews. Others... it's was less formulaic, more casual. The impression I got from these was that it was more of a "feeler" of who I was as a person. When I received feedback from these interviews, it focused mostly on my personality rather than the substantive nature of my answers.

Therefore, the best approach in my view is to have an excellent bank of answers that you can provide to questions, while also ensuring you can come across as a relaxed, confident, committed, friendly, motivated applicant :)

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Ah, that's frustrating re: the feedback, however, it is one of those things.

My experience with interviews (I did a lot this year) was that firms seemed to use it in different ways. Some firms placed significant reliance on the interview, asked quite formulaic questions, and I received feedback specifically from my performance during those interviews. Others... it's was less formulaic, more casual. The impression I got from these was that it was more of a "feeler" of who I was as a person. When I received feedback from these interviews, it focused mostly on my personality rather than the substantive nature of my answers.

Therefore, the best approach in my view is to have an excellent bank of answers that you can provide to questions, while also ensuring you can come across as a relaxed, confident, committed, friendly, motivated applicant :)

I absolutely agree with what was already said. While you should not memorise answers word by word, having a bank of answers prepared gives you confidence and it means that there will be fewer questions that could throw you off. Also, it makes you think about all the different questions that could be asked and it is a great way to prepare :) It can take some time to put together but you can definitely reuse the competency/motivational/commercial answers for your other interviews!

Also, I recently had a vac scheme where the GR recommended to use earphones (better sound quality), speak slowly and to smile - while they cannot see it, it makes your voice sound more cheerful and you can really tell even over the phone!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: julie1995 and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.