• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

Private Equity and Venture Capital

A98

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
31
36
Hi all, I have a question regarding Softbank Vision Fund.

Some articles call the Vision Fund the 'largest PE fund', but this fund looks like a venture capital instead of a private equity company as they seek 20-40% ownership and invest in start-ups.

Does this mean that VC is a subset of PE or are they separate? Is it best to refer to the Vision Fund as an investment fund instead of PE or VC fund?

Help appreciated!!
 
Hi all, I have a question regarding Softbank Vision Fund.

Some articles call the Vision Fund the 'largest PE fund', but this fund looks like a venture capital instead of a private equity company as they seek 20-40% ownership and invest in start-ups.

Does this mean that VC is a subset of PE or are they separate? Is it best to refer to the Vision Fund as an investment fund instead of PE or VC fund?

Help appreciated!!

It’s a bit of a grey area as the two are often used interchangeably. I think it depends on how broadly you’re defining private equity - if we’re just talking about investing in shares of private companies, you can think of VC as a subset of PE, so calling it one of the largest PE funds wouldn’t be incorrect. On a more narrow definition, I would agree that it’s more of a VC fund.
 
Thanks Jaysen, I'm brushing up on PE right now for an upcoming AC with K&E.

I became interested in PE after I had a chat with a PE associate to prepare for a client pitch (during a vacation scheme). I pitched the Softbank Vision Fund as a potential client for their private equity practice that assists PE, venture capital and other funds. At the same time, I didn't really understand the difference between PE and VC so I framed the presentation using my knowledge on PE. It doesn't look like K&E has a venture capital team so I don't want to give wrong information if I end up talking about the Vision Fund and have them pick up on it. Maybe I'm just overthinking, but I'm stuck on how I should explain my interest.
 
Hey! I did a lot of research on SoftBank since they were my commercial awareness go-to for the written application. It's a VC fund since they invest in emerging companies (Uber, WeWork, OYO etc). But it's an odd one because they have made such massive investments which rival those of major PE firms - they've really shocked the VC market and inflated valuations/ fundraising. And to repeat Jaysen's point, VC is a subset of PE (early part of the life of a business). Hope that helps! :)

Thanks Raam! So do you think it would be fine for me to mention Vision Fund when I talk about my aspirations for PE? It's not a direct link, but it led me to researching it
 

Find member