Pro bono work

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
Sorry that this is a basic question, but what commercial factors motivate a law firm to do pro bono work? I have heard that this question came up in a recent interview.

These are just a few ideas I have but I would be keen to see what anyone else thinks!

1. Strengthen existing client relationships
2. Motivate clients to pursue a matter with a given firm if they perceive it to be ethical and benefit local/global communities
3. Develop its lawyers' skills for example through increased responsibilities

Is it a requirement for particular clients?

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hi @Lauren

Not a basic question at all! I think you've covered the grounds pretty well. I think a big part of it is to do with values ( what type of values does the firm want to be known for and what type of values does the firm hope to attract through future employees and future clients). As you mentioned, there is also a skills and developmental element as it allows junior lawyers to start developing client relations pretty early on. Also, you could say they was a cohesion element to it, as pro-bono enables wider mixing of members within the firm who perhaps would not work usually work with one another.

Whilst I don't think its a requirement, naturally this would be dependent on the type of client. Therefore clients with a significant focus on corporate responsibility etc, will naturally be naturally attracted to firms who meet their values.

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi Lauren,

Just wanted to add that pro bono work is actually mandatory in some jurisdictions. It's mandatory in South Africa, in some parts of the US (up to 50 hours a year which in isn't a lot but bear in mind this is mandatory) and in South Korea.

So from a commercial perspective, firms want to make sure their lawyers are complying with professional regulations.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Just to add here too, it can sometimes be that clients have strong corporate social responsibility initiatives and firms may look to work on projects which clients are also contributing to as a way to consolidate the relationship further beyond formal fee-based work.

PaolaEccles

Standard Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    I would assume it is reputation in the first place. There are some 'loud' cases that can bring more customers with pro bono work than we can imagine. Secondly, charity. And finally - publicity. Well, I think I have already mentioned it)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.